Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Depending on my route, I started to commute to work about 20 miles each way. The weather in the morning is about 30 degrees this time of year and then warms up throughout the day.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to wearing tights?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kolossal said:
Have you tried hair on your legs?
That works in late spring and summer but right now it's just to dang cold in the morning. I did grow a beard though but doesn't help the legs.

The problem is I work in an office envronment where tights are considered innapropriate.

And I don't make the rules. And in this economy I don't question the rules.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Wear tights, change into pants when you get to the office? That's what I do.

Tights make a lot of sense on the bike- they fit close, they don't flap in the breeze, you could care less if they get dirty...

otherwise, what everyone else said.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
What 6 quarters said. I like my knees to be warm so I prefer knickers. A quick change into pants rolled up in a courier bag solves the problem with management.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
I'll often wear a pair of hiking pants over my cycling shorts. You could also just wear or carry a pair of walking shorts to pull over your tights when you get to the office.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I have to deal with this every spring and fall, when AM and PM are frequently two distinct seasons. I bring a change of clothes with me. Done.

Oh- and the extra cold season gear goes in the backpack at the end of the day for the ride home

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
?

How do you manage to commute 20 miles to a job in an office environment and not have to change clothes anyway? Most people with a lengthy commute wear full-on cycling clothes (they are more comfortable) and change when they get there. My commute is only about a third the length of yours, and most of the year it would be quite impossible for me to do it in office clothing, unless I rode VERY slowly (and what fun is that?).

·
Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
I bought a couple of pairs of BDU pants online, took them to a tailor and had them shortened to a 22" inseam. Voila! Cargo pants style knickers for about $40 total.

I wear them over cycling shorts. If it's really cold, I can wear knee warmers or thermal tights underneath as well.

Still slightly dorky looking to non-cyclists but nowhere near as socially awkward as tights.

·
Riding towards Delmarva.
790 Posts
I use these, pulled over my normal cycling shorts...
http://www.rei.com/product/754988#prodInfor
They're not tight, not loose, somewhere in the middle. And in fact I just keep them in one of my panniers, and walk out to my bike each morning in cycling shorts and make the call when I get outside. They work very well (for me), and I often go inside restaurants, coffee shops, etc without feeling like I'm wearing geeky tight. More like a workout pant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Since I don't like to come into the office in bike shorts, I usually wear a loose pair of nylon sport shorts over my bike shorts. For cold weather instead of tights I prefer close fitting running pants made by Sport Hill. They're close fitting and elastic at the ankel but not form fittings such as tights As an ex-runner I've still got several pair and these are "less" inappropriate.

Sam in Cincy

·
Registered
222 Posts
I wear fleece sweatpants over my bike shorts with reflective leg bands. They keep my legs warm, and they block the wind. The leg bands keep my pants from blowing around, plus they help with being seen.

Remember, you are commuting to work. Not a weekend group ride.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I just ordered some showers pass event rain pants, but they have to do some custom work to close up the gap they added to the knee.

My fallback is to wear tights, then wear a very thing pair of long pants over the top so you can't see the tights.

In the meantime I'm just wearing some sort of long windbreaker shell pants (black) over long underwear.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a favorite pair of North Face soft shell running pants, which I wear over cycling shorts or bibs, and use a leg band to keep the cuff out of the chainring. A bonus is these pants have a reflective stripe down each side to help visibility.

Scott

·
Registered
66 Posts
+ 1 on the North Face runners pants. . .I wear them with temps in the 30's over regular shorts. They're not tight but not baggy, good windblock and warm enough if the other parts that get cold are taken care of (feet, hands, head. . .). They're loose enough to look "normal" to non-cyclists. . .

·
Registered
420 Posts
The dress code is business where I work, so when I do commute on the bike, I roll up a button up shirt and pants in my pack and change when I get there.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I walk in my office in full on cycling gear. Cleats, spandex, helmet,etc. I walk right past the security guard to the gym where I shower and change. No one has every questioned the 2 minutes I spend in the office out of dress code between my bike and the gym.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.