Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going back and forth over if I should order my frame from here or from my LBS. I'm looking at picking up the Wilier Izoard and its more than $300 less if I order from comobike.com ($2000 plus tax vs. $1700 total with shipping). I've already been back and forth with comobike to work out the total price. What would you do? The other thing is that I would probably want my LBS to do the build for me as I'm not quite knowledgeable enough to do it myself. Is that not kosher? To bring in a frame and components to the LBS and ask them to build it for me (I'd obviously pay)?

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
The difference would have to be more than $300.00 for me to give up the support of my LBS.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
tariffs...

Frames are subject to tariffs and if you get charged, it will greatly reduce the price difference. Como ships by UPS and seems to get charged tariffs quite often.

I'd give the LBS a chance to come closer to the mail order price. Frames usually have a large markup.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I agree. I mean, I definitely want to support my LBS and would much rather buy there, but they just don't seem to want to budge on the retail price. Not even a bit. I was even considering just buying the complete bike, but wanted to know if I could purchase without the wheels (since I just ordered a new wheel set) and they essentially refused. I guess if I go the complete bike route I'd just put the wheels on craigslist or in the classifieds.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ymmv

They only ship UPS as C40 said. If you get flagged in customs you'll pay 17% (duty, tax, & UPS broker fee.) On a $1700 frame I doubt UPS will miss the opportunity to "broker" this through customs. (Big ticket item = high profit on a single shipment.) I was lucky - because my centaur group was only $614 my duty,tax,& broker fee was only 104 bucks. Still an ok deal on '09 Centaur - $718

My reason for not using them is not the duty, tax, & brokerage. My issue is the service, intentional deceipt, & no follow-through. I'm sure they have many happy US customers. I'm not. The details are just too many and too long to post. I'll share this much - at one point I called Campy (in Italy.) I told them what was going on and what Como was telling me. A very nice gentleman in cust svc @ the Campy factory said, (quote,) "that shop is totaly BS you."

Bottom line, the order I placed Nov '08 was finally sorted out early Feb '09. $718 for a centaur group cost me way too much in stress & lost sleep. Como? Dude, run. Since Feb I've ordered from PBK, Wiggle, Geoff Burgess (the frame guy in Hungary,) Lickbike, Jensen, & a LBS. I recommend them all highly. But no more Como for me. YMMV.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is a tough one, the extra $300 would possibly cover the post sales service/help (depending on how customer orientated your LBS is). If you buy the full price they are asking, good LBS will throw in extra stuff either heavily discounted or for free.

AND what if there is a warranty issue with the frame? I'd look into that, can you go through the distributor in your country or do you have to send it back to Comobike??

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with everyone. The more I think about it and the more I've read what you all have posted, I have to say that giving up the support of my LBS doesnt make much since for me. I'll still see if I can finagle any sort of deal, but I'm definitely going to give the sale to the LBS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts