Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I haven't made any moves yet, it was just suggested to me to move from a Ritchey WCS ergo bar to something with a smaller rise, such as the now popular Compact bars.

With a bit of research I have found a few compact bars, but could use some help to make sure I am not missing any (I'm sure I am).

Here is what I have:

Pro PLT Compact II OS - anyone know the reach and drop on these?
FSA Omega Compact - 125/80
FSA Wing Pro Compact - 125/80
Salsa Short & Shallow - 144/82
Salsa Poco - 140/70

From the looks of it, my Ritchey WCS Logic in a 42 is the same reach and drop as the Salsa Short & Shallow.

Anyway, what am I missing that could be a good alternative?

· Registered
10,161 Posts
info..

The Salsa Poco is a oddball. I managed to use them on both of my bikes for a couple of seasons, but the bend required the bars to be rotated up (tips down) quite a bit to make them work with Campy ergo levers. The hump in the drop is not positioned such that your palm could rest over it and still reach the brake levers. They were OK but never a favorite.

I switched to the new Easton EC90 SLX3 compact bars this year and they are my favorite so far, but they're not cheap ($175 at Beyond Bikes).

· Registered
3,477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C-40 said:
The Salsa Poco is a oddball. I managed to use them on both of my bikes for a couple of seasons, but the bend required the bars to be rotated up (tips down) quite a bit to make them work with Campy ergo levers. The hump in the drop is not positioned such that your palm could rest over it and still reach the brake levers. They were OK but never a favorite.

I switched to the new Easton EC90 SLX3 compact bars this year and they are my favorite so far, but they're not cheap ($175 at Beyond Bikes).
Thanks. Looks like the Easton EA70 Wing has the same reach and drop measurements as your new favorite. More of an ergo bar shape though. I'll add that to my list.

· Registered
329 Posts
I searched

but I could not find any concise explanation of why these have become popular.

Not arguing, just trying to understand the benefits a rider might hope to find with a compact bar.

Thanks, and sorry to jack your thread.

· Registered
8,252 Posts
krisdrum said:
I'm running these on my Scott and find them to be quite comfortable overall. The curve of the bars fits my hands well and the top section is nice and flat for a smooth/flat transition from the bar to hoods.

I beleive the reach/drop is 75/125.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
the difference...

unit said:
Not arguing, just trying to understand the benefits a rider might hope to find with a compact bar.
Whether you find compact bars preferable may depend on your setup. A lot of pros use a shallow drop because they have a large 10-15cm drop from the saddle to the top of the bars and really don't need a lot more drop to produce a very aerodynamic position in the hooks.

I use about a 10cm drop. I've also got a short torso, with my saddle setback more than average for climbing. I like the short reach, so I don't have to resort to a stem shorter than 110mm. Obviously, someone already using a 130mm wouldn't want a short reach bar, only a shallow drop.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
unit said:
but I could not find any concise explanation of why these have become popular.

Thanks, and sorry to jack your thread.
Some riders simply find they can't ride on the drops for more than a few seconds without hurting. Their hope is that a "compact" bar will fix that problem. Unless the fork steerer was cut too short for cosmetic reasons, a 20 mm spacer would do the same thing for much less money.

· Registered
329 Posts
Thanks

C-40 said:
Whether you find compact bars preferable may depend on your setup. A lot of pros use a shallow drop because they have a large 10-15cm drop from the saddle to the top of the bars and really don't need a lot more drop to produce a very aerodynamic position in the hooks.

I use about a 10cm drop. I've also got a short torso, with my saddle setback more than average for climbing. I like the short reach, so I don't have to resort to a stem shorter than 110mm. Obviously, someone already using a 130mm wouldn't want a short reach bar, only a shallow drop.
This was my suspicion, but I wanted to hear it from someone who seems to know a bit about them/and uses them.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
krisdrum said:
Although I haven't made any moves yet, it was just suggested to me to move from a Ritchey WCS ergo bar to something with a smaller rise, such as the now popular Compact bars.

With a bit of research I have found a few compact bars, but could use some help to make sure I am not missing any (I'm sure I am).

Here is what I have:

FSA Omega Compact - 125/80
FSA Wing Pro Compact - 125/80
Salsa Short & Shallow - 144/82
Salsa Poco - 140/70

From the looks of it, my Ritchey WCS Logic in a 42 is the same reach and drop as the Salsa Short & Shallow.

Anyway, what am I missing that could be a good alternative?
All of the following are 135/80, or very similar to that:

Deda Newton shallow or Deda 215 shallow - "classic" smooth bend, identical bars, differ only in clamp size
Ritchey WCS classic - appear to be nearly identical curve shape to Dedas with same dimensions and same classic smooth bend
Easton EA,50,70, 70 wing - a slightly anatomic bend but similar drop and reach
Ritchey Biomax - pronounced anatomic bend, similar drop and reach

All of the above have dimensions and drawings on their websites. Most come in either 26 or 31.8 clamp size.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.