Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
your god hates me
1,603 Posts
Bob Ross said:
Any idea whether they make a 110BCD 53t?

I guess I could Google it. Or search the FSA website. Or call them. Or...

Well, I checked the FSA website and they do make a 52t chainring for their compact crankset. Interesting... I may try changing out my 34/50 for a 38/52, seems cheaper & easier than replacing the entire crankset.

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
FSA only makes the compacts for the God-awful carbon si. The Hollowgrams come with a ring made by the same guys that make Salsa.

That would be why the hollowgram rings actually work while the carbon si rings are just like any other turd FSA produces.......... they neutral, big surprise.

Just like everything about the carbon si and FSA.............. the rings suck.

More on topic........... Using a large ring on a 110 bolt circle is inviting front shifting problems. The rings simply are not stiff enough. If you use a solid ring it may be ok but in my experience it has caused poor shifting performance under load (ie the rings flex)

Starnut

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
I believe Specialites T/A makes the Alize in size 53. They are 110BCD. They're quite nicely machined.

Starnut:

Have you begun to receive any of your back ordered Hollowgram SL cranksets? Still waiting for mine since Feb/Mar.

CHL

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
Hell na :lol:

My CRIT account page still say they will be released on 6/7. "released" is Cannondale speak for "shipping sometime after said date" It doesn't help that the date is always on a saturday :idea: wh...............?

At any rate, I have 25+ cranksets that are "sold" and on backorder still. The offical line from them is that they diverted all production to filling bike orders (not to be confused with back orders. So I started selling cranksets off super6s and slices and placing the replacements on backorder and canceling my outstanding supers and slices or at least pushing the ship date out. I got the call about why (on the bikes) and told them I want my cranks before I get the rest of the bikes. I have 35 custom team frames with no cranks. So I have frames sold with no cranks and bikes I can't sell with them?

I'm holding the bike orders hostage :lol:

Starnut

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I placed mine on Mar and the crank arrived first week of May 08.

·
Greg44
44 Posts
Just went from standard carbon si crankset to the aluminum sl crankset in compact. I don't know why anyone would want standard crank unless they live in flat lands. I am running a 11-26 SRAM cassette and don't feel I've lost anything on top speed.

·
your god hates me
1,603 Posts
STARNUT said:
Using a large ring on a 110 bolt circle is inviting front shifting problems. The rings simply are not stiff enough. If you use a solid ring it may be ok but in my experience it has caused poor shifting performance under load (ie the rings flex)
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the warning.

·
Naso Unicornis
907 Posts
The spider is definitely available separately. Did you try out a 36 chainring yet? It might help, instead of buying a new spider and a new set of chainrings.

CHL

·
extremely biased
874 Posts
The spider your looking for is QC694. That the 130mm spider and they retail for about $69-$79. The Mark V chainrings are KP024 and KP025 for the 53 and the 39 respectively. Those should run you $60 and $70 a ring. I would assume you already have the chainring bolts but you do need to use their bolts with their rings.

Starnut

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I don't you can run 50/36 on Si rings only available on Shimano & FSA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ride 50/38 on 130mm. works fine.
the teeth diference is (for me) better, I can ride on big ring longer. and the 38T is just a bit smaller then 39T, to have better felling on climbs, :p
and the 50T is enough for me, I don't sprint with over 70 km/h...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.