Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I change out my front 39T chainring and put on a 36T one that will fit? The make is FSA. I realize that is it a compact ring but wondering if anyone knows if the bolts will match up? Can this work.. I already have a 12-27 that I am using so please don't tell me to do that instead.

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
cannondale_boy said:
Can I change out my front 39T chainring and put on a 36T one that will fit? The make is FSA. I realize that is it a compact ring but wondering if anyone knows if the bolts will match up? Can this work.. I already have a 12-27 that I am using so please don't tell me to do that instead.
A normal 39/53 (Shimano standard) has a 130 Bolt Circle Diameter (BCD) and will take a 38 tooth ring minimum. - TF

· uhhhh, what?
222 Posts
as tt already said, yer screwed due to the 130 bcd. but, 12-27 sounds like you're running shimano. if you want to go lower but don't want to swap cranksets, you can always go for a 12-32 mtb cassette & matching med/long cage mtb derailleur. keep it at the lx pricepoint and it's pretty cheap, but still works flawlessly.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Observation

cannondale_boy said:
Despite what many people think, the bicycle is a really simple device. If you just look at the 39t on the crank, you will see that there is virtually no way to find space for a smaller ring. While 38s are available, even that situation results in the chain ring bolts just touching the chain each time they pass. A 36 is simply not possible, which you can easily see when you look at the 39.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.