Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a compact cranks and was wondering what most people use for a casset. right now i use a triple biggest chainring being 53t and a casset with the smallest cog at 11t. should i keep the 11 or go with a twelve? my largest cog is 26, but a rarly use it. i would say that i'm in good shape, the terrain that i bike on is hilly, so i was just wondering what other people use or like.
-thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
for what it's worth: I have a compact setup with 50/34 front and 12-27 ten-speed rear. You may be fine with the cassette you have already. It depends on how strong you are and the terrain you ride. For hills I'm glad I have the 27 cog. I might prefer a 28 in some situations but at that point spinning along is only about walking speed so one might just get off and walk the bike for that matter.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
sdnomis88 said:
just got a compact cranks and was wondering what most people use for a casset. right now i use a triple biggest chainring being 53t and a casset with the smallest cog at 11t. should i keep the 11 or go with a twelve? my largest cog is 26, but a rarly use it. i would say that i'm in good shape, the terrain that i bike on is hilly, so i was just wondering what other people use or like.
-thanks
Think about what combo's (chainring/cogs) you rarely use, then make your decision. As a quick check, you can figure out the gear ratio (# chainring teeth divided by # cog teeth) for figuring out what gear combo's you can loose without missing them.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I just bought a new bike and had them swap out the DA crank for a Record Compact using a 34-50 front and 12-27 rear. I rode it last weekend on a moderately hilly route and I was surprised how little I needed the 23, 25, and 27. I think I would be fine with a 11 (or 12) - 25.

Depends on what you were used to and what you want to do with your hills/inclines in your area.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Eric S said:
Not to hijack this thread but I was wondering if you get more power (because of more torque) if you are pushing the same gear inches from a 53 ring than you do from a 50 ring?
The effect that chainring size has on power is that the frictional losses are slightly less with a larger chainring. Power delivered to the ground is determined only by the power output of the rider and the losses(inefficiencies) in the bike system.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
It's clear what the advantages are on the 34 vs 39 on the small ring of a compact but it's not clear to me if a 50 big ring ring with a 11-23 cassette is going to give you more or less of a power range than a 53 ring with a 12-25 will through all 10 gears.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,767 Posts
Eric S said:
It's clear what the advantages are on the 34 vs 39 on the small ring of a compact but it's not clear to me if a 50 big ring ring with a 11-23 cassette is going to give you more or less of a power range than a 53 ring with a 12-25 will through all 10 gears.
A 50-11 is taller than a 53-12, i.e. the 50-11 is harder to push but will let you to go faster before you spin out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Insight Driver said:
for what it's worth: I have a compact setup with 50/34 front and 12-27 ten-speed rear. You may be fine with the cassette you have already. It depends on how strong you are and the terrain you ride. For hills I'm glad I have the 27 cog. I might prefer a 28 in some situations but at that point spinning along is only about walking speed so one might just get off and walk the bike for that matter.

I'm thinking about doing the same setup, Do you use a short cage or long cage rear der.???
 

· MING
Joined
·
419 Posts
back to topic

I run two compacts. a fsa elite and a ritchey wcs. Both are 175mm and have 50/34 rings. On my main ride I run a 12-25 9 speed and on my cross/rain bike I run a 12-32 with an xt long cage. For road riding in the hilly/mountainy Pacific Northwest 39x25 is enough for me, I'd love to have more but I'd also like to push myself and have to work hard to get up the places it should be hard. I like the fact I can't bail out.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
385 Posts
I've got two cassettes that serve me well. A 12/27 and an 11/23. Both 10speed DA. You can combine them to make an 11/27. That's my preferred cassette for those rides with long climbs and long decents. I use shimano compact 50/34 with DA short cage rear der.

BTW, the 11/27 on a 50/34 gives you basically the same range as a triple 53/39/30 with a 12/24.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
skyline377 said:
I'm thinking about doing the same setup, Do you use a short cage or long cage rear der.???
I have the long cage. I was thinking I would prefer a medium cage, but it's convenient to use one chainring for flats and only drop to the 34 when its going uphill. The long cage takes up all the slack in a cross-chain situation.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top