Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old Bridgestone road bike that I would like to start using for commuting and taking the train. There are some hills on the way so I would like some lower gears.
Currently it has square taper Shimano 600 cranks with the dreaded 52/42 Biopace rings.
I see some cheap compact cranks on Ebay like Truvavtiv Elita and FSA Vero but they are made for 9 or 10 speed and this bike is 7 speed so not sure it would work. Any other options for a compact crank?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Get a Sugino with a 110 bolt circle diameter. Check ebay for used ones, Velo Orange and Rivendell etc. for new.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see it come with rings.
Nice looking crank but pricey at $115.
The FSA Vero is like $50.
I think I paid $75 for the whole bike.
I guess you get what you pay for usually.

·
Registered
103 Posts
|3iker said:
You can always replace the 42t with a smaller ring. That would be the cheapest option me thinks.
+1
You could get a 39 tooth inner ring and a wider range freewheel (e.g. 13-28) for pretty cheap. A new chain would likely be needed if the old freewheel is worn (new Freewheel + Old chain = Skipping).

Shawn

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Maybe not

robert_shawn said:
+1
You could get a 39 tooth inner ring and a wider range freewheel (e.g. 13-28) for pretty cheap. A new chain would likely be needed if the old freewheel is worn (new Freewheel + Old chain = Skipping).
It's quite possible that this age of crankset has a minimum 42t chainring, or maybe a 41t.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.