Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a 165 mm length compact crank for my son's race bike. Something in a 50 or 48 big ring with a 36 or 34 small ring. Even a tripple would be OK if the large and middle rings had this combo.

So far, I can find only cranks made by Sugino, and I can find them sold only on Airbomb.com. The price is well under $100, so it's looking pretty good.

But does anyone else make these cranks, or does anyone sell Sugino cranks for less (since Airbomb tends to be relatively pricey)?

Thanks.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
650 Wheels?

If he needs a 165m crank then chances are he is riding a frame small enough to require 650c wheels. If that is the case then a 53/39 on 650c wheels is close to a 50/36 on 700c wheels. What cassette does he have on his bike now and what size wheels?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Shimano FC-R700, 50-34 165mm arms

"he needs a 165m crank then chances are he is riding a frame small enough to require 650c wheels" is nonsense. I've got 165mm cranks on a 57cm frame.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bingo

Keeping up with Junior said:
If he needs a 165m crank then chances are he is riding a frame small enough to require 650c wheels. If that is the case then a 53/39 on 650c wheels is close to a 50/36 on 700c wheels. What cassette does he have on his bike now and what size wheels?
You're right, he's got 650 wheels on a 40 cm Cannondale, with a 13-25 on back. Even with the 650 wheels, I can't imagine a 65 pound 10-year-old needing a 53 ring in front.

·
Registered
352 Posts
samcat said:
Other than on a track bike, why 165's on a 57?

Spin?
I've found from experience that I'm as fast on the flats and faster in the hills with the shorter cranks. Knees tend to feel better after long rides as well. Yes, you will use slightly lower gears with higher cadence.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
Stop Spending Money

NoMSG said:
You're right, he's got 650 wheels on a 40 cm Cannondale, with a 13-25 on back. Even with the 650 wheels, I can't imagine a 65 pound 10-year-old needing a 53 ring in front.
Either teach him how to use his gears or use the limit screw to block out access to the big ring. At 10 years old there are plenty of years left to spend money on bikes. My kids all time favorite bike even compared to the high end one he has now was a used frame and components transferred from his previous bike. If your kid starts racing you will get even more opportunities to spend money on race fees and team kit.

Put a computer on the bike and don't buy more parts until he hits 1,000 miles. By then you will know if he has the cycling bug or if it is another passing childhood phase. From your descriptions the bike he has is more than sufficient for him to begin with.

By him a couple of good pairs of shorts and some good shoes and pedals. If you want to really help him develop as a cyclist and you are good cyclist yourself buy a tandem. There are many benefits and you will both enjoy the next few years as he becomes a cyclist. I have been through this and have the bills to prove it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice

Keeping up with Junior said:
Either teach him how to use his gears or use the limit screw to block out access to the big ring. At 10 years old there are plenty of years left to spend money on bikes. My kids all time favorite bike even compared to the high end one he has now was a used frame and components transferred from his previous bike. If your kid starts racing you will get even more opportunities to spend money on race fees and team kit.

Put a computer on the bike and don't buy more parts until he hits 1,000 miles. By then you will know if he has the cycling bug or if it is another passing childhood phase. From your descriptions the bike he has is more than sufficient for him to begin with.

By him a couple of good pairs of shorts and some good shoes and pedals. If you want to really help him develop as a cyclist and you are good cyclist yourself buy a tandem. There are many benefits and you will both enjoy the next few years as he becomes a cyclist. I have been through this and have the bills to prove it.
Already got a tandem that we ride on. Just switched to clipless on tandem. He's done several kids races at the crits and enjoys them.

Switching out the Sora cranks for some better fitting cranks will be only a $40 or $50 upgrade once I sell the old cranks. It'll also marginally increase the value of the bike for resale and take off about a pound on the bike. Also, I enjoy working on bikes--this simply gives me an excuse (I do realize that neither my son nor my wife give a rat's ass about the tinkering and "improvements" I do to their bikes.)

You're definitely right about getting better shorts. The stuff from Performance that I got him is crap.

BTW, are you the one with a kid on the orange Orbea? How's he doing?

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
NoMSG said:
...I do realize that neither my son nor my wife give a rat's ass about the tinkering and "improvements" I do to their bikes...
Do teach your son to wrench. If he becomes serious about cycling it is a valuable skill. It also gives him an opportunity to work as a shop rat and spend his entire paycheck on employee discount merchandise.

NoMSG said:
...You're definitely right about getting better shorts. The stuff from Performance that I got him is crap...
I used to get Bellweather shorts. Voler now list a youth short on its Velowear site. Cannot comment on the quality of either now as my son has been "borrowing" my stuff for the last few years. A hint for cool weather, he can use your old arm warmers as leg warmers. Mens black dress socks with the feet cut out make great arm warmer for skinny kid stick arms.

NoMSG said:
...BTW, are you the one with a kid on the orange Orbea? How's he doing?
No, he is running a black Cannondale Six13 in Indiana and Ohio races. He did place top 10 in his second race of the season after he and I spent a week at a cycling camp riding together for 450 miles. Cool way to start the season.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts