Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
9,790 Posts
Yes, you'll have to add links; unless your chain was too long to begin with.

The rectangular buttons on the left and right are called shift keys. They allow you to type capital letters. Even phones have them. That way you don't come across as a lazy, self-absorbed, entitled teenager.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yes, some bicycles come with compact or mid compact cranks. This is done to enable the rider to climb up hills a little easier.

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Its really no problem to move from one crank to a standard. You do need need to ad some chain.
You may also need a front derailuer cable. You have to move the derailuer up and the cable may be a bit short.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Before you go to the trouble and expense, consider whether you really need it. The difference isn't so dramatic as the terms might suggest, and with the right choice of cassette most riders can do fine with either crank setup.

·
9,790 Posts
Before you go to the trouble and expense, consider whether you really need it. The difference isn't so dramatic as the terms might suggest, and with the right choice of cassette most riders can do fine with either crank setup.
Aye. A 50/11 will beat a 53/12 any day.

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
The actual answer to "why" is that decent wide-range cassettes are now available. Most categories of road bike are now supplied with a cassette like an 11-27 or 11-28, which gives a lot of gear choices.

I think you might like the 52 / 36 standard which is developing. Some are calling it "mid gear" or "mid compact," which is really sort of a misnomer, since compact is meant to refer to the bolt circle of the crank, not the chainring size, but, that's fine. We're also seeing the return, on the high end, of the 52 / 38 gearing which was technically always available from Shimano, and was my preferred gearing when I could get it.

I like these a lot better than 50 / 34, which is not as helpful to me on a regular road bike. It is not so much that I need more top-end, but, the 34 inner ring is so small I can make little use of it. The 36 allows a much rider range of gears and might just be a sweet spot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Before you go to the trouble and expense, consider whether you really need it. The difference isn't so dramatic as the terms might suggest, and with the right choice of cassette most riders can do fine with either crank setup.[/QUOTE

Thanks this helped alot. Its good to know that there are some good people out there.

·
Proud luddite
7,269 Posts
I had to switch to a compact crank when I learned that the FD hanger on my new frame was too low to accommodate a standard 53/39. But I must admit that I like the range of gears on my 50/34 compact crank. The only problem is that I spin out when I hit about 35 mph, but I don't go that fast very often so it's no problem. Now if I ever started doping and could smoothly spin at 300 rpm, I might have to switch back to a 53/39. :)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
The only problem is that I spin out when I hit about 35 mph, but I don't go that fast very often so it's no problem. Now if I ever started doping and could smoothly spin at 300 rpm, I might have to switch back to a 53/39. :)
Three points:

- at 35 mph, you're probably faster getting in a tuck and coasting. Unless you're racing with a pretty fast crowd, you'd rarely get any benefit from pedaling at that speed.

- if you have an 11, at 35 mph you're spinning about 100 rpm. If you could manage even 110 comfortably (nearly all riders can learn to do that), you'd increase that terminal velocity significantly, to 38.5 mph.

- You got that last part backward. If you could spin really fast, you wouldn't need such high gears. I know 300 rpm was a joke, but even at 150 rpm, you'd go 45 mph in a 50x13.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I had to switch to a compact crank when I learned that the FD hanger on my new frame was too low to accommodate a standard 53/39. But I must admit that I like the range of gears on my 50/34 compact crank. The only problem is that I spin out when I hit about 35 mph, but I don't go that fast very often so it's no problem. Now if I ever started doping and could smoothly spin at 300 rpm, I might have to switch back to a 53/39. :)
Sounds like your small cog on the cassette is a 12t?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.