Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to upgrade to a compact crankset, on my 2007 Trek Madone. What crankset will fit onto it? Also, will a 52/36 crankset work with the 10 speed drivetrain? If so, what 52/36 crankset would work?

Thanks

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,566 Posts
Any of the Shimano Hollowtech cranks (24mm axle) will work. Any SRAM GXP crank will work (24/22mm axle). Any Campy UT or PT crank will work. I can't remember if the '07 was threaded or BB90, I know the '08 was BB90. This uses press in bearings as the bottom bracket. They are the exact same bearings that are in the Shimano, SRAM, or Campy bearing cups but just pressed into the frame directly. So you can use any Shimano HT crank, any SRAM GXP crank, or the Campy cranks I listed above.

And yes, feel free to use a mid-compact crank, it'll work fine. Doesn't matter whether it's 10 or 11 speed...even 9 speed will generally work fine.

·
15,566 Posts
Thanks

Would this be a comparable crankset to the ultegra that is on bike currently?

https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-FC-5...73092492&sr=1-9&keywords=shimano+105+groupset

Also, will I notice any improvements with climbing hills using the 52/36 over the current 53/39? I have ridden a 50/34 crank, and it was great for climbing hills.
It should be pretty close as 105 is one level below Ultegra.

Think about it for a minute...if you thought the compact (50/34) was great then logically the mid-compact (52/36) should be pretty good, right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should be pretty close as 105 is one level below Ultegra.

Think about it for a minute...if you thought the compact (50/34) was great then logically the mid-compact (52/36) should be pretty good, right?
Sorry,

I meant, from using the 53/39 crankset for a year now, and being accustomed to it. Would I benefit more from a 52/36 crank or would a 50/34 be better? I live in a hilly/slightly mountainous area, which is why I ask.

·
15,566 Posts
Sorry,

I meant, from using the 53/39 crankset for a year now, and being accustomed to it. Would I benefit more from a 52/36 crank or would a 50/34 be better? I live in a hilly/slightly mountainous area, which is why I ask.
Only you can answer that question.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
If it is mountainous, get a 50/34, otherwise you'll be getting a 34 cassette in the back. That is assuming your not on a pro team, if you are, ask one of your buddies. And an 11 in the back is nice with that if you like to pedal over 28mph.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Sorry,

What does "better" mean? It will be lower, by about 6%. For example, if you'd climb a steep hill at 70 rpm with the 36, you'd be turning about 74 rpm with the 34. Do you need the lower gear enough for that extra bit to matter? That depends on you.

This stuff is math, not magic.

I'm a little curious what you mean when you say you've become "accustomed" to having the 39 small ring. If that means you find it adequate and never feel the need for a lower gear for climbing, then why are you switching? It's not an "upgrade" to go to a smaller gear if you don't need it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What does "better" mean? It will be lower, by about 6%. For example, if you'd climb a steep hill at 70 rpm with the 36, you'd be turning about 74 rpm with the 34. Do you need the lower gear enough for that extra bit to matter? That depends on you.

This stuff is math, not magic.

I'm a little curious what you mean when you say you've become "accustomed" to having the 39 small ring. If that means you find it adequate and never feel the need for a lower gear for climbing, then why are you switching? It's not an "upgrade" to go to a smaller gear if you don't need it.
I meant

I have become acclimated to the larger 39 crank, meaning, when going up hills I am used to a slower RPM and putting out more energy than usual. However, I am wanting to go for perhaps a 52/36, to gain more revolutions going up hills, rather than doing slower revolutions, and also feeling more refreshed after a long climb. The 50/34 I had on a another bike a few years ago offered a good cadence going up hills. Now, since I am used to going up hills using the 39, at a slower cadence, I might want the 52/36, which I think will offer a good middle ground, between the 50/34 and the 53/39.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Now, since I am used to going up hills using the 39, at a slower cadence, I might want the 52/36, which I think will offer a good middle ground, between the 50/34 and the 53/39.
Yes, I completely understood you; you said essentially all of that the first time. It is certainly true that a 36 is about in the middle between 39 and 34. Whether that is a "good middle ground" for you depends on your condition and riding style and preferences.

It seems to me you'd really prefer the lower gears. Though you've acclimated to the 39, it sounds like you really don't like the cadence it produces for you, and you miss the 34 on your old bike. There's no particular reason to go only halfway if you're going to go to the trouble and expense of getting a new crankset. Only one caveat: do you care about the 52 vs. 50 big ring for pedaling downhill? And maybe a second caveat: look at the overall shift pattern produced by the different cranksets, and consider whether there's any awkward jumps that would not suit you. Personally, I don't like the wide jump of "compact" and "semi-compact" sets, but a lot of people are not bothered by them.

What's this hilly/slightly mountainous area of yours? What does that mean in terms of the longest climbs you do, and how steep they are? Some quantitative data might help you get better advice. And what cassette are you running? Chainrings alone don't determine the gear ratio.

But it really does seem to me you want lower gears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts