Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a Shimano Dura-ace BB-7700 Octalink bottom bracket, currently with Dura-ace FC-7701 crankset on it. I would like to be able to change her over to a compact crankset, but I don't know whether there are any available that will fit on her bottom bracket. I would like to stick with Dura-ace level, but I don't think they made them (compacts aren't for racing, I was told). Does anyone know what will fit?

If I switch, will I have to get a different front derailleur, or can I simply adjust her current one lower?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm not aware of any compact cranks meant to work with the octalink BB for road. The BB is the inexpensive part, best bet is to buy the crank that suits you/her the best and use whatever BB it calls for. Shimano has a couple of really nice cranks @ 600 and 700 levels. They aren't group specific but are meant to compliment 105 and Ultegra levels. There will be a D/A compact crank for 2009 but you're looking at $700 retail for the new D/A stuff assuming it has the same outer chainring as the standard version. SRAM also has cranks that would work, the Rival is a very nice crank for the $$.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ritchey had compact octalink cranksets and there is the Sugino Alpina octalink crankset.
The Coda Expert cranks are in fact MTB cranks but they have only two chain rings and the road version of the octalink spline.

These cranks are out of production but sometimes available on ebay.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Still available. This is the newer Ritchey Octalink compact double. The one subject to recall was not all black like this newer one, but outlined in silver. No need for a new derailleur. Even if the current derailleur doesn't go low enough for he recommended 1-2 mm clearance, try shifting with it anyway. It might just work fine.
http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?...mpact+WCS&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=13

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, guys. This has been some really useful info and gives me a couple of things to look at. I appreciate the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts