Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I live in the mountains and am not getting any younger, I've decided to switch over to a compact crankset for the lower gearing. I'm leaning towards the FSA Gossamer MegaExo set up or the new Shimano 7700 crank. Both are integrated sysems but the FSA is about $100 cheaper. I'm also considering a regular BB set up (ISIS/Octalink) with possibly a carbon crank. It all boils down to what shifts better and weight (minor consideration). Your recommendations/suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
hjbiker43 said:
Since I live in the mountains and am not getting any younger, I've decided to switch over to a compact crankset for the lower gearing. I'm leaning towards the FSA Gossamer MegaExo set up or the new Shimano 7700 crank. Both are integrated sysems but the FSA is about $100 cheaper. I'm also considering a regular BB set up (ISIS/Octalink) with possibly a carbon crank. It all boils down to what shifts better and weight (minor consideration). Your recommendations/suggestions would certainly be appreciated.
The Gossamer is FSA's low-end crank, not comparable to the Shimano R700. More comparable would be the FSA Energy, or if you want to go a bit higher end, the SL-K. My Gossamer has okay front shifting, but other people seem to be even happier -- could be because I only have 105 shifters and FD. Overall, I love my compact ... a 34x27 is almost as good as a triple for spinning up the steep stuff, saving your muscles and your knees, but without the weight or Q-factor issues of a triple.

Cheers,
Ari

·
Registered
376 Posts
They now make the Energy in Mega-Exo

I have an octalink version of the Gossamer. It is ok, but definitely lower end. The Energy MegaExo looks sharp, too. It comes with the new super pro chainrings. No deals out there yet, but I bought mine online from www.cadencecycle.com for $200. Probably a little pricy, but still way less than the Shimano (which was never an option since I ride Campy). I'm sure as it is on the market for awhile the price will drop.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
hjbiker43 said:
I'm spinning the Gossamer Mega-Exo, and it's a fine crank. Maybe not the lightest system around, but it was lighter than the Ultegra 53/39 (Hollowtech II, same technology as Mega-Exo) it replaced. Don't know how it compares to the Shimano compact WRT weight. Because of the bigger jump, a shift to the big ring takes just a little longer. Not a problem, and no other compact choice is likely to be any faster, but something to be aware of so there's not a dissapointment. I'd only change it for bling-factor, not for any functional reason.

·
Registered
704 Posts
hjbiker43 said:
I got my Shimano compact from Total Cycling in Northern Ireland - http://www.totalcycling.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1028/groupID/2/categoryID/40/v/

On their website, you click the US flag at the page top for US$ pricing, which is far cheaper than UK pricing as the 17.5% VAT is deducted from overseas sales. I paid around $180 for the crankset a couple of months back - the price will vary due to exchange rates. Also bought the matching BB and a fr der. Shipping was around $8.00 and my order showed up about as fast as any US based mail order. I did have a couple of days wait for the cranks to come in, but they were quick in answering my emails about stock and got the order out fast when they got stock - they told me these cranks were in short supply.

Fitting was a snip, and though I've only ridden the bike around the neighbourhood so far, changes are fast and smooth with regular Ultegra shifters and der's. The only let-down is that I'd have prefered the rings to have a polished alloy finish to match the cranks, but they sure work fine.

Am running 34/50 by 12-25, the rear gear copes fine.

Hope that helps

D

·
Registered
607 Posts
If you've got an Octalink BB, get the Ritchey WCS compact crank. I got mine for $150 over a year ago. I think it's bear-trap ugly, but it shifts as well as the Ultegra crankset I was using.

Des

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fsa

I had the FSA Mega-Exo SLK Compact and didn't like it much. It seemed to have some drag that I couldn't get rid of. I switched to a FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact with a FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB and couldn't be happier. I think its actually a bit lighter and spins better than the Mega-Exo ever did. I bought both new on eBay, but can't remember how much. I switched the 34 ring for a 36 to aid in shifting and it seems to be as good as the Dura-ace stuff I had before.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dereck said:
I got my Shimano compact from Total Cycling in Northern Ireland - http://www.totalcycling.com/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1028/groupID/2/categoryID/40/v/

On their website, you click the US flag at the page top for US$ pricing, which is far cheaper than UK pricing as the 17.5% VAT is deducted from overseas sales. I paid around $180 for the crankset a couple of months back - the price will vary due to exchange rates. Also bought the matching BB and a fr der. Shipping was around $8.00 and my order showed up about as fast as any US based mail order. I did have a couple of days wait for the cranks to come in, but they were quick in answering my emails about stock and got the order out fast when they got stock - they told me these cranks were in short supply.

Fitting was a snip, and though I've only ridden the bike around the neighbourhood so far, changes are fast and smooth with regular Ultegra shifters and der's. The only let-down is that I'd have prefered the rings to have a polished alloy finish to match the cranks, but they sure work fine.

Am running 34/50 by 12-25, the rear gear copes fine.

Hope that helps

D
Thanks, checked out the site you sent and that's a pretty good price! About the same as the Gossamer. Of course, the BB cups on the R700 are extra where as with the FSA, it's included. From the replies I read so far though, it looks like the Shimano is a better product function wise so it's now at the top of my list. It all depends on whether it will work with my old 9 spd Ultegra stuff, so I'll wait for some replies on that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts