Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in weightweenies but didnt get much of a response:

I'm riding a lapierre '03 FDJeux team frame (= compact scandium frame made in taiwan). I've been using an ec90 carbon post w/ an m2 racer collar. Recently I've been playing around w/ saddle height and I ended up raising it about 5mm overall.
I belive it's a 300mm post in my compact frame. The post is now inserted to the "1" on its scale, so its still within the minimum insertion. The problem now is when I go over rough road or push on the bars while still seated, I get a sharp creak. There is definitely flex w/ the post, I just want to make sure it's safe-- that I don't move to do a big effort and have the post break off under me. I put tacx dynamic paste on the post before installation.

any advice?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Noise

You don't mention your weight or frame size, but the creaking could easily be from the saddle itself or at the contact between the rails and the clamps. In theory, as long as the post is not in the range of the minimum insertion, you shouldn't have specific worries. If the post doesn't slip, you could consider greasing the post and collar as well.

· Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my weight is 165 lbs and the frame is a medium compact (about 54-55cm top tube).
I've already checked the contact at the saddle rails- not there. It's definitely around the post/frame/collar intersection.
Can't use grease- the post was slipping w/ no grease, I actually had to apply tacx paste to keep it from slipping.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.