Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· aka Zoo
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does everyone use a compact front derailleur with their cross setups? Does it really make a difference between using a standard and compact front derailleur?

· You call that running?
262 Posts
What size are your rings? 10 spd or 9 spd? If you're running conventional cx gearing like a 46-39 or something most any derailleur will shift fine. A compact FD may be a good idea if you have a big size difference and/or a very small inner ring.

· Registered
64 Posts
My experience coincides with what Sundance said referring to:

The Sundance Kid said:
A compact FD may be a good idea if you have a big size difference and/or a very small inner ring.
I run a 50-36 on my CC for roadie season. Recently, I tried installing a 46t outer to see how things felt in prep for CX season. I also run a compact FD, and with the compact FD I had issues with the inner plate rubbing (pretty badly too) on the inner (36t) chainring when I lowered the FD to "match-up" with the 46t ring. If I raised the FD to eliminate the rubbing on the inner ring, I had a rather large gap between the FD and the 46t ring. It shifted ok, but it was not something I was comfortable with, or felt was optimal for shifting. I decided to use a standard FD when I reinstall the 46t when CX season starts.

[edit]I had the rubbing issues when I shifted up to the big (46t) ring with the FD lowered[/edit]

[edit #2]I guess I should mention that I use a 9sp Campy Veloce compact FD[/edit #2]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.