Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the same handlebar brands for Shimano work fit well with SRAM- on the hoods?

New Shimano hoods have long reach which require compact handlebars (for me).

Any recommendations?

·
Bianchi-Campagnolo
3,902 Posts
Compact will be ok function wise. If you think it's too short increase stem length.
Of course a classic deep drop "Merckx bend" will worl well too. Shifting from deep drops is easy with SRAM.

·
Converted Runner
691 Posts
Compact will be ok function wise. If you think it's too short increase stem length.
Of course a classic deep drop "Merckx bend" will worl well too. Shifting from deep drops is easy with SRAM.
I agree. I'm perfectly happy with my classic bend bars (FSA energy) and SRAM shifters. I think I like that setup more than the SRAM/compact setup on my CX bike.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I use a shallow classic bend bar - Easton EC90 Equipe "pro" (smooth curve not the ergo). They have a perfect, smooth transition to the Sram hoods (mine are ~2010 version if that makes a difference). I haven't tried them with my other classic bend bars (Deda 215 "italian") which, while being "classic", have a significantly different bend than the Eastons.

I've found my Shimano hoods in much greater need of an ergo or compact type bar to get the transition correct.

Now, there's the other issue of reach and drop - which might be what people are getting at. I happen to like a shallow and short bar, but the bend is classic, not "compact". You can get short reach and/or shallow drop in any type of bend.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I feel like current Shimano shifters aren't as bad about the way they stick out from the bar, but my old 5500s definitely benefited from the right handlebar.

Kinda curious about revisiting a classic bend with new Shimano, actually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.