Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gearing on my retro commuter/tour rig feels too tall for the weight of the bike. It is on the heavy side and the 52/42/30 is tough to get comfy with. Plan is to get a Sugino XD300 46/36/26 and swap out the 46 for a 50 I have in stock, very similar to the road compact gearing on my main ride. Anyone else try this? Seems like i have to ride 2 gears lower to compensate for the weight, and then it is 6 speed to boot.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some ideas flowing with possible gearing

Seems if I get the Sugino crank and it will be used as friction shifting so ramps and pins won't matter on the big ring, I have a 48t ring on my SS, a 50t sitting unused, a 36t that will come on the new crank a 34t on the compact all in the 110 bolt pattern. Pinned and ramped rings that matter/need it (middle ring on double compact and the new Sugino) I think i have something here that will meet my desires that I can work with.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
Lone Gunman said:
The gearing on my retro commuter/tour rig feels too tall for the weight of the bike. It is on the heavy side and the 52/42/30 is tough to get comfy with. Plan is to get a Sugino XD300 46/36/26 and swap out the 46 for a 50 I have in stock, very similar to the road compact gearing on my main ride. Anyone else try this? Seems like i have to ride 2 gears lower to compensate for the weight, and then it is 6 speed to boot.
Standard MTB gearing for the last 10,000 years, no?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Why not get an MTB "compact" crank, with 42/32/22 gearing. along with a cassette with an 11, you can get up to 32/33 mph.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I go that route and I need a whole drivetrain, wheels included

The cassette is a freewheel screw on, the wheelset is 27" consisting of 600 hubs and Wolber alu anodized rims (pretty nice wheelset), the BB is the old square taper style and I can get the Sugino 26/36/46 square taper for $60. Plus I have a spare freewheel NOS sitting along with 110 rings I can use on other cranksets. Just makes sense for me to go 110 for $60 that gets me a few options to work with 3 bikes I ride, my SS, retro, latest with a compact crank, all 110 pattern cranks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lone,

I run an MTB crankset on my road commuter rig. Dirt or no, matters not to me, just to be riding matters most. :)

FWIW, I am currently running a Specialized MTB crankset (square taper, added track chainring bolts) as SS with a 42 tooth ring. Probably not the ligtest set out there, but touring/commuting should be built to last--seems to be why some offroad componentry has wandered over to be spec'ed on tourers.

PS

I had my set up bastardized on some 27" steel hoops for several months. I recently have switched over to a MTB SS conversion kit on some faster/lighter/cheaprer 700's. It is not pretty to look at, but the chainline works and the whole shebang was inexpensive. Tweak with it, i am sure you can work something out

Good luck!
-Jay

·
Registered
234 Posts
Compact Tripple

I am running 50/40/30 on my touring/cross rig and 12-27 in the back(8 speed) on one set of wheels(cross) and 12-25 on another set of wheels(touring). I had 24 small ring for some time for some off road mountains, but it was overkill, so I changed grany gear to 30 although I almost never use the 30 ring. I am happy with the set up. On my 2 road bikes I run compact 50/36 and 12-25 in the rear. I do not think I will go back to a 53/39 ever again.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Cassette 11-34, Crank 48/36/26

When I first started to ride at the age of 60 with two artificial knees, I used a 48/36/26 crankset and a 11-34 cassette. Needed the long derailieur, etc. but it worked great. It is very hilly around where I live such that a two hour ride will include about 2,000 vertical feet no matter which route I take. This setup got the job done.

Over time I went to a less radical cassette and now have grown up to a traditional 53/39/30 triple and because I have the mountain bike derailieur still on the bike, I have lots of cassette choices depending on where I'm riding.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Got 46-36-26 on two bikes, perfect for me.

That's the setup I have on my Atlantis (with a 13-28 cassette) and Rambouillet (12-26), and it's perfect for an old lousy climber in big mountains. Not that you're an old lousy climber, but I am, and I really like it. I occasionally need a lower gear, but never a higher one.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've had my Kogswell sport/tourer/commuter set up this way for years--Sugino XD 48-36-26 with a 12-25 or 12-26 cassette. It's great for most everything. I seldom use the granny, but it has been nice to have on occasion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.