Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nobody else makes a trainer in the same manner as 1UP (centrifugal force), so it's hard to compare. I've owned the 1uP for 2+ years and never had any problems. No fluid to leak, and it is very quiet. The only thing you hear are your gears. It it a bit expensive, but I'm willing to bet this thing will last for ever, that's how well it's constructed. (no cheap welds). Good luck on your search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Kurt Kinetic is BEST

I used a 1UP for a couple years. The guys who helped invent the 1UP make their own, the Kurt Kinetic. 2-models; std. and heavy duty road. The Kinetic unit has an identical curve to what you'd experience on the road; whereas the 1UP is linear. Visit www.kurtkinetic.com for more info. They compare both units on their website. They are MORE expensive than the 1UP, however. ($350 for the HD Road model)
I know of someone who has over 30,000 miles on his (that's not a typo). My teammates average 250 miles per week on theirs (husband and wife).
Both Kinetic and 1UP make a great product.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Kinetic can be had for < $300

Uphiller said:
I used a 1UP for a couple years. The guys who helped invent the 1UP make their own, the Kurt Kinetic. 2-models; std. and heavy duty road. The Kinetic unit has an identical curve to what you'd experience on the road; whereas the 1UP is linear. Visit www.kurtkinetic.com for more info. They compare both units on their website. They are MORE expensive than the 1UP, however. ($350 for the HD Road model)
I know of someone who has over 30,000 miles on his (that's not a typo). My teammates average 250 miles per week on theirs (husband and wife).
Both Kinetic and 1UP make a great product.
Search Google and you can sometimes find the Kinetic going for under $300. That's the one with big flywheel. With shipping, mine ended up costing right at $300 brand new. I forget exactly where I bought it.

The Kinetic is as great a I think a trainer can be. Built to last. Good resistance curve. Pretty quiet.

I have heard many good things about the 1UP, but I don't have experience them personally.

Good luck!

·
Converted Marathon Runner
358 Posts
1+ years with 1up......

I've had a 1up trainer for over a year. Here's the catch, I'm on my 3rd one.

The first one had a faulty resistance unit (lasted about a month). Promptly sent me a replacement unit, postage paid return label as well, class act customer service.

Had the other one for over a year. Just about a month ago actually, the resistance unit failed. Called up, explained, they were baffled how I was unlucky enough to get 2 of them (typical with me though), same deal, got a replacement.

Each replacement was slightly different. This newest one has 2 knobs in the back, which they said will alleviate the problem of the units failing. With one knob, it tightens the unit to the tire at an ever-so-slight angle, and they think it was wearing some of them down inside.

I have no problems with the company though, no problems with the unit, and would recommend it to anyone. I have bad luck, that's all. Unit works super, even when the units were failing, you can get some lube in there to get you through the week it takes for UPS to ship a new one to you. So, not a big deal.

Sounds like you can't go wrong with either of the above models (the kinetic and the 1up), so see what you can get for your budget and don't look back.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Try checking the reviews

JohnnyCat said:
Are there any benefits to the smaller version or is the Hvy Dty flatout better?
There are a lot of good reviews on this site and MTBR.com.

I have the heavier flywheel and I like it. When you stop pedaling, it coasts . I am unsure of any other real benefits :) .

One drawback is that sudden bursts in power sometimes result in small tire slippage. This would be a lesser problem with a smaller, lighter flywheel. Pretty much every review I read, though, recommends the heavier.

Search Google for a price under MSRP. Ebay's another good place.

my .02.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts