Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunk left knee that keeps me paying very close attention to my pedals. I have some Look Keos but they do not have enough float (even with the red cleats) and they seem to stress my knees badly when I exit. I have some Crank Bros Candies from my mtb that I have been using and like them, but I am wondering about the Speedplay pedals. I have heard that they are difficult to get out of but I've neer heard anyone give specifics about how they are hard to get out of. Does it take a lot of force? Is it unpredictable? Do you think that they would be good for someone with a really bad knee?

I recently bought the lightest Crank Bros Candy pedal only to realize that the spindle is quite a bit shorter than the older model I have, thus creating a bit of funkiness on the knee. It does not seem to care for the tighter Q-factor of the light Candies, so it puts me up into a heavier pedal. It's not a deal breaker, but I thought I might explore the Speedplays while I am in the pedal transition.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Speedplay offers more float than Keos, but I don't think it offers quite as much as crank brothers. One thing about Speedplay pedals in general is that you have to be meticulous in keeping the cleats free of dirt, sand and mud (always use cleat covers when you get off the bike). Couple years back when I did Solvang century in freezing rain and hail, I saw many speedplay users with problems getting in and out of their cleats due to the foul weather. I never had any problem with my Look pedals.

Speedplay pedals are light, but the cleats are heavier so the system as a whole is not much different than other pedal systems. CB Candy pedals great, I would stick to them if you like them.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll probably just stick to the Crank Bros because they are so simple. I don't have to worry about the cleats or whether or not the cleats get clogged. Thanks for your input. :)

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
My wife and I both use Speedplay X-1 pedals. I have really bad knees and have had 5 knee surgeries. The Speedplay X series are very easy to exit, they will release from any angle by rolling your foot off. The X-1's are the lightest with shortest spindle and most ground clearance when leaning in a turn. The X-2's are probably the best dollar value.

Al

·
Registered
420 Posts
I switched to Speedplay's after my knee surgery to help protect it from further damage and my knee has been very happy since I made the switch (from Look's). The range of free float lets my knee take any position it wants during the pedal stroke. I find that it is easier to clip out at the top of the pedal stroke but its not like its super difficult at other points either.

I have the x-2's and I feel they are a super value and plenty light. If you want more adjustability, you can dial in the amount of float you want on the Zero's. Its a one float fits all for the x series, but thats ok with me.

+1 to keeping the cleats clean and using cleat covers. Regularly apply a dry lube and clean them out every month or so and you'll be much happier. I don't feel there is a better pedal for those with knee issues. But it will take a few rides to get used to the "pedaling on ice" feeling.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I rode Look without issues for some 20+ years. In later times due to the ol body changing, I began having knee issues. The sports ortho each time gave my knee the OK and encouraged me to switch to the Speedplay pedals. (He is also a cyclist) My diagnosis was Patello femoral pain syndrome and so far, the Speedplays have been good.

Even with the float, you still want to get the proper set-up or you'll potentially worsen the condition. The float helps some but may not for others. If you have a "really bad knee" I think a basic platform pedal will be safer. I rode those during my therapy time and while not as performance oriented, it did enable me to ride without discomfort. If I were facing serious knee issues, I'd dump the lock-in pedals without blinking.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, on second thought, I might just try some Speedplays. I have just had a pro fitting and it made all the difference. My road bike is now more confortable than my mountain bike. I may go back for another cleat fitting though. That might be a good idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.