Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a site, like Garmin, RideWithGPS, etc. that gives me the ability to compare rides on the same route, over time, that previously have done? I'd simply like to see, when I do one of my standard routes, how my time compares on a given day to what I previously have done.

I can't seem to get any of the sites I know of to do this simple filtering function. Am I missing something? Any recommendations?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
Strava will give you up to your third best time on established segments. I have found that I can track may training pretty well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right, that's Strava and segments, not whole rides. Usually, my rides span many segments, and it's not such a difficult thing to aim to do well on a segment. I'm interested in my overall time, say, on a 35-50 mile ride. Strava won't "match" 35-mile segments, because (I think) there is too much deviation over that course to link even the same rides.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Right, that's Strava and segments, not whole rides. Usually, my rides span many segments, and it's not such a difficult thing to aim to do well on a segment. I'm interested in my overall time, say, on a 35-50 mile ride. Strava won't "match" 35-mile segments, because (I think) there is too much deviation over that course to link even the same rides.
Have you made your route into a segment? Are you saying you did that and it doesn't work? Report it to Strava. It should work.

I can't seem to get any of the sites I know of to do this simple filtering function.
Why doesn't this work for you? If you name all your rides the same (or put the say keyword in them) then do a search for it. You'll get a list of all your rides. If you do this with Garmin Conenct you get a lot more info and can export it to .csv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What you say might make sense, but I'm thinking more about filtering for rides after I've been doing them a while. I would have to go back in time and name all the rides for a few years. Also, Strava doesn't seem to be very good at capturing named rides . . . or at least, searching for rides that aren't named exactly the same. For example, I "name" some of my rides after things that happen while I'm doing them, for my friends and myself to get a kick about things. And in the comments, I'll say what the route is. But a search for that title doesn't pull up that ride, if the title is only in the comments. And, it doesn't seem like Strava catches all the rides titled the same anyway.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In other words, no, Strava, first, doesn't capture all the rides named the same; and, second, it filters them but doesn't list average speed as one of the columns to display. That means to compare rides, I have to eyeball the times and distances (they can vary by a couple tenths of a mile) and do the math to see how my time compares with other times; or, go to a listed ride to see what the average speed is. And I think that when you backtrack to the filtered ride display, you lose your settings so you don't see the listing of filtered rides again.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
What you say might make sense, but I'm thinking more about filtering for rides after I've been doing them a while. I would have to go back in time and name all the rides for a few years. Also, Strava doesn't seem to be very good at capturing named rides . . . or at least, searching for rides that aren't named exactly the same. For example, I "name" some of my rides after things that happen while I'm doing them, for my friends and myself to get a kick about things. And in the comments, I'll say what the route is. But a search for that title doesn't pull up that ride, if the title is only in the comments. And, it doesn't seem like Strava catches all the rides titled the same anyway.
Contact Strava support and have them re-index your account. It's a common issue.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/210014868-Search-does-not-work

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That doesn't work on Strava, for reasons I mentioned above. First, it doesn't capture past rides . . . Second, if the routes are off by a miniscule amount (I pull over to the side of the road), they say the differences are too much to match segments. This might be different for short segments, typically one doesn't vary over short stretches, but it happens quite a bit over 35-50 miles. Third, Strava is really bad at matching segments. Maybe asking them to re-index is helpful, though I doubt it.

I was hoping another service is better at this seemingly simple function.

jjpzebra

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
We might be talking past each other here.

1) I posted a 43 mile Strava "segment" and it works, every time. So when you say that Strava does not work for longer segments, I'm confused.

2) If I create a segment from a ride I did in 2014 and I ride the same route in 2016 Strava will capture that data.

3) Your point on "miniscule" differences leads me to believe that your GPS signal is poor, which would cause variations in the route. You can determine this by closing looking at the lines being drawn for your rides, if they are nice and smooth or if they have lots of jagged edges or straight lines like below:

That would indeed caused a segment not to be captured but not for pulling to the side of the road. That I have never experienced.

If Strava is the limiting factor here you can always use off-line tools like Golden Cheetah for comparing your rides.

GL!

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I use Strava segments for this. It's fine, but it does have a flaw. Unlike your overall ride time, Strava Segments count your stopped time. This means variances for traffic signals, stopping for some reason, etc...

Honestly though, my need for this is not that scientific. I can live with the variances.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks, folks, I'll give Strava the old college try - - again. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, I'll report my results. However, arai-speed, are you saying that if you create a segment based on a ride in 2014 (now) it will capture your subsequent matched rides?

Also, is that your last name? I used to know a guy named Max with that name.

JJPZ

PS OK. . .I created a segment based on a route I take often, let's see how it works. Also, how long does it take Strava to "process" a segment? Do created segments work and capture previous rides, or do they simply catch segments for rides done after they are created?

And, apologies. Nothing personal intended, but, you might be able to sense my frustration. I appreciate the help. And I did try to search on Strava's site for help, but could find nothing in the blogs except for other people saying much the same things I did.

·
Registered
760 Posts
If you create a segment today it will match all historical data as well. Make the entire route a single segment, make it private and as long as you start and stop the segment in the right place and don't deviate too much within the segment it should match ok. When you look at the segment later all of the leaderboard will be your rides, they show average speed but obviously average speed takes into account stops as well as that's how segments are (rightly) calculated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think mapmyride does what you want, and it is free and gets uploads direct from your Garmin.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
The local hammer fest ride in my area goes for 43 miles.

https://www.strava.com/segments/1045848

I can see all of my results for that segment.
Pretty much same for me. There is a couple longer local segments that are labeled "TT's" along with a route name. I just went into my Strava account and looked at "your efforts" and all those rides came up, grouped by year and month/day. Even going back to the year I activated Strava. You can analyze effort for every ride, named or not. If it was ever uploaded to Strava it should be there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts