Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've posted this question elsewhere, so apologies if you inhabit both forums!

I've recently upgraded a 9 speed 2nd generation ergo lever to 10 speed by changing the index cams. All went well!

I've since noticed there's a lot of play in my old rear derailleur where it attaches to the hanger. I think it needs replacing.

My question is, does anyone have any positive experience of using a post 2001 2nd generation 10spd ergo lever with a current 10spd rear derailleur e.g. a 2011/2/3 Veloce or Centaur ?

I'm pretty sure Campagnolo will say it's not possible, but they would!

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
I don't believe that this will be a problem. Campy has posted some compatiblity charts that suggest a difference, but it should be minor.

I've used an older 10 speed RD with 11 speed and found that the actuation ratio was less than the new model. I cured that by grinding the cable clamp bolt down to the root of the threads to increase the actuation ratio and increase the travel. A new 10 speed RD might over-travel by a small amount, but a little over-travel is more tolerable than under-travel.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/campy-10-rd-11-speed-drivetrain-160601.html

There's really not much of an alternative, since the only way to get a new RD, is to buy one with the current design. Campy RD pivots do wear out. I've reduced the problem by removing the c-clip and installing a home made washer to reduce the play. I had a RD with only a few years of use that needed a .032 inch thick washer.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
I am using Centaur UT 2010 shifters with the older ( ca 2005 full silver ) versions of the FD and RD.

No problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Campy RD pivots do wear out. I've reduced the problem by removing the c-clip and installing a home made washer to reduce the play. I had a RD with only a few years of use that needed a .032 inch thick washer.
Thanks for getting back to me. I've shimmed the main pivot behind the circlip to reduce some play/slop and that's really helped. However there's still play in the parallelogram. The derailleur must be 10 years old, so I'm not surprised. Maybe it's time to just bite the bullet and try a new derailleur.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It's not a full answer to your question, but I was told by Campag UK the new "wide parallelogram" 10s RD has a weaker spring than the old "narrow parallelogram" 10s RD. Campag says new 10s RDs might not work with 10s Ultra Shift (detent disk) levers depending on cable friction. What happens with the old G-spring shifters I don't know.

Here's the wording from Campag UK training course:

"The Centaur and Veloce RDs in the market from mid-2010 (new shape, RD11-xxx) have a return spring tension that [...] are not recommended (or designed) to work with UltraShift levers. Again, with new cables and clean runs, they can be made to work acceptably, but the friction inside the lever itself is outside of their design parameters. These RDs should be used with PowerShift only for correct function."

You can still get old "narrow parallelogram" RDs eg from Shiny Bikes in the UK. I bought a spare rather than move to the new, weaker spring, "wide parallelogram" design.

·
Registered
698 Posts
My 2006 Veloce derailleur had worn pivots, too. I got a good deal on a closeout (2010?) Ultrashift Veloce shifter and derailleur set. I briefly tried the new derailleur with the 2006 shifters, and it seemed to work fine. But I swapped the shifters out after a short test.

These newer derailleurs have a better design with stronger pivots set farther apart. I didn't know there was any change to the spring strength.

The new shifters have a more comfortable body shape, and the braking is much better from the hoods, since the levers have more curve to them. I like them.

·
Registered
299 Posts
... Campy has posted some compatiblity charts that suggest a difference, but it should be minor.
... A new 10 speed RD might over-travel by a small amount, but a little over-travel is more tolerable than under-travel.

There's really not much of an alternative, since the only way to get a new RD, is to buy one with the current design.
Hi C-40, in my conversation with Campag I came away thinking that the actuation ratio was unchanged on the new 10s RD, it was just the return spring strength. At least that's how I understood it, in which case for actuation ratio:

(2010 and earlier 10s) = (2011 and later 10s) <> (11s)

You can still get NOS 10s 2010 ders, I bought one a couple of months ago.

I've never used the "wide parallelogram" 10s post 2010 RD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.