Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "compatible to clipless pedals" all road shoes are designed for clipless pedals. Do you mean road shoes that are compatible with Shimano pedals? Most road shoes can accommodate Look, Time or Shimano cleats.

For under $75 you will probably have to look at a discontinued model. Or-Shimano has a couple of road shoes within that price range. However you might consider forking over a couple more dollars and get a quality shoe. Comfort is important. I have some Shimano R085's that replaced my Shimano R151's (carbon sole) and I like them. They go for around $100.00. Best to go to a bike shop that has a large selection and try on a bunch of shoes.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
IAMAHIPO_ocolor said:
I am looking into purchasing Dur-Ace pedals, but I don't want to spend a fortune on the shoes. How compatible are cycling shoes to clipless pedals? BTW, I want to spend under $75.
Far better to go for Ultegra and pay a bit more for the shoes. The amount of weight saved with DA over Ultegra will be less than the penalty on the shoes at $75. Plus you're unlikely to get a carbon sole that is thinner and more efficient.

·
Registered
255 Posts
ultimobici said:
Far better to go for Ultegra and pay a bit more for the shoes. The amount of weight saved with DA over Ultegra will be less than the penalty on the shoes at $75. Plus you're unlikely to get a carbon sole that is thinner and more efficient.
probikekit.com has 105 pedals for 55 ish with free shipping. THat would give you even more cash to spend on a good pair of shoes. I have shimano R085, spent about 100 dollars. They are pretty good shoes for the price. Get some hotspots on my feet during longer rides, but just shake the feet for a few seconds and they go away.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Almost every cycling shoe is built to take a three bolt cleat (Look, Shimano, Campy, and many others)
SpeedPlay is different.

PS You are not allowed to use Dura Ace pedals on under $200 shoes.
$300 to $400 shoes are appropriate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
Almost every cycling shoe is built to take a three bolt cleat (Look, Shimano, Campy, and many others)
SpeedPlay is different.

PS You are not allowed to use Dura Ace pedals on under $200 shoes.
$300 to $400 shoes are appropriate.

Lol. I am still growing, and I want some pedals to last me a long while. Shoes, not so much... Why pay $400 for shoes that I will outgrow in 6 months?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
If you don't race, you do not have a need for DA pedals.
If you race, any pedal you buy will look like crap after two years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.