Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short (as it applies to several forums here), I found a commuter bike on craigslist, an early 90's (near as I can tell) Trek 1420 with Chimano105 groupo (2 examples for around $350-400).

Fun Cyclocross riding (read, do not plan on racing) content:

I really want to get a Surly Crosscheck, but I am finding they are difficult to come across in the used categories. So a thought occured to me, buy the Trek and donate all the parts to a new Crosscheck frame, and then pawn the Trek frame/fork, and headset. Not a bad idea. But then, I thought I should check with my amigos here about compatibility issues, and does this just bring up a whole host of other issues, like will the wheels be strong enough to go down gravel roads? Does anyone here see any problems with this option?

EDIT: Obviously, the brakes need to be put into the parts bin. Cantis are a must, unless I go fixie (not yet.....)

Thanks!

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
not worth it. you won't get much out of the trek frame, and the parts aren't too hot either. you'll end up spending like 700 to buy a cross check with very dated parts. might as well pay 100-200 more and get a complete bike.

·
Registered
813 Posts
okay ill bit on this one...

the only things that are really cyclocross specific on a cross bike are the brakes (cantis), chainrings, fork and mtn pedals.

but everything else---brake levers, saddle, seatpost, front and rear derailleurs, stem, cranks, wheels, skewers, chain are the same off of a road bike. However, the BB might be a different size depending on frame/cranks used.

As far as wheels go, most road wheels will be fine for cross racing (assuming its dry and no mud...cheap hubs usually dont hold up well). For fire roads, most road wheels will probably be okay. replace em if they break.

My suggestion is to buy the frame, then buy parts in series-----i would only buy another complete bike if i could get an unbelievable deal on it. Otherwise, decide on the frame (crosscheck, then fork, then bars, then.......and so on). This is what I have done, by being patient and scanning ebay, RBR classifieds daily, as well as craigslist, you can build up a bike for the cheapest route, IMO.

jeremy

·
vegan wrench
160 Posts
you will have to buy new tires, bottom bracket (probably), brakes, seatpost (maybe), headset & stem (unless you overestimated your bike's age considerably) and thus rewrap the bars. the gear ration will be wrong as jeremy pointed out but that could possible be corrected with just a new big ring. the wheels should be durable enough on a 105 bike, however the rear axle might be the wrong spacing for a crosscheck. and i'm also assuming the bike has sti (or bar end) shifters.

seems like too much trouble to me. if it seems worth it to buy the bike just for groupo then go for it, otherwise, don't bother. you can buy a new crosscheck for under a grand which is probably less than you'd spend to use the old parts on a new frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.