Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to know if hubs, rims and spokes are compatible before I buy them on ebay and have lbs build me wheels?

I am watching Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims but this question applies to any brands. THe only thing I am sure of is that the number of holes has to match. I have Abrosio rims with Mirage hubs now and am sticking with Campy.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Forgot the name of the bible, but there is one...

A big bike shop should have a copy of the manual I can't remember the name of...starts with a "B," I think, but I keep coming up with Bartlett's Quotations . . . that lists all kinds of stats for matching spoke lengths to various hubs and rims (and a ton of other compatibility information, too). But then of course you have to go in and say, "Hey, I'm not going to buy this stuff from you, but could you look in your $75 book and tell me if it will fit?"
Damn. . . Barnard's? Bernard's .Somebody will know it.

colnrly said:
Is there any way to know if hubs, rims and spokes are compatible before I buy them on ebay and have lbs build me wheels?

I am watching Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims but this question applies to any brands. THe only thing I am sure of is that the number of holes has to match. I have Abrosio rims with Mirage hubs now and am sticking with Campy.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
74 Posts
colnrly said:

Thanks for any advice.
The spoke length will need to be correct. Try going to http://www.dtswiss.com/index.asp?fuseaction=spokes.bike and click Spoke Calculator to calculate how long the spokes need to be.

·
blame me for missed rides
350 Posts
Cory said:
A big bike shop should have a copy of the manual I can't remember the name of...starts with a "B," I think, but I keep coming up with Bartlett's Quotations . . . that lists all kinds of stats for matching spoke lengths to various hubs and rims (and a ton of other compatibility information, too). But then of course you have to go in and say, "Hey, I'm not going to buy this stuff from you, but could you look in your $75 book and tell me if it will fit?"
Damn. . . Barnard's? Bernard's .Somebody will know it.
i think Barnett's Manual is what you were refering to. there are plenty spoke calculators online to calculate the correct spoke length. or you can just order from coloradocyclist, give the hub dimensions (# holes, flange diameter, center to flange distance. hole diameter is rarely a concern) and lace pattern, and they will calculate the correct length for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts