Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to know if hubs, rims and spokes are compatible before I buy them on ebay and have lbs build me wheels?

I am watching Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims but this question applies to any brands. THe only thing I am sure of is that the number of holes has to match. I have Abrosio rims with Mirage hubs now and am sticking with Campy.

Thanks for any advice.

This thread is also posted on general discussions.

·
Registered
675 Posts
In general, yes.

colnrly said:
Is there any way to know if hubs, rims and spokes are compatible before I buy them on ebay and have lbs build me wheels?

I am watching Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims but this question applies to any brands. THe only thing I am sure of is that the number of holes has to match. I have Abrosio rims with Mirage hubs now and am sticking with Campy.

Thanks for any advice.

As long as the hub and rim have the same number of holes, it will work. The spoke length is dependant on the combination. If the rim is assymetric or part of a propietary system, then you can have problems. The LBS will either use a computer/internet-based calculator or do it the old fashioned way with calipers and a basic trig program on an old Casio calculator.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So does that mean I don't have to worry about spoke length?

colnrly said:

Thanks for any advice.

Should I just let the shop recommend spokes? What about butted or straight gauges spokes? Is there really an advantage to either? I am a Percheron rider.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
colnrly said:
Should I just let the shop recommend spokes? What about butted or straight gauges spokes? Is there really an advantage to either? I am a Percheron rider.
Have you asked the shop if they can do you a deal?

Where I worked, we charged less for a build using parts supplied by us. £30 spokes & building for your parts or £20 for parts we supplied.

The other thing to bear in mind is that when you need your wheels truing or other small "tweaks" you'll be less likely to have to book an appointment.

But if you decide to Ebay the parts, just get the rims & hubs. Leave the spokes to the builder as if you get the wrong ones your savings on the hubs & rims will disappear.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
BTW what is a Percheron?

If you're a clydesdale then the wheelbuilder is invaluable in advising on rim/spoke choices in both model & drilling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts