Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to know if hubs, rims and spokes are compatible before I buy them on ebay and have lbs build me wheels?

I am watching Campy hubs and Ambrosio rims but this question applies to any brands. THe only thing I am sure of is that the number of holes has to match. I have Abrosio rims with Mirage hubs now and am sticking with Campy.

Thanks for any advice.

This thread is also posted under general discussion and wheels/tires.

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
For the rims and hubs, all they need to be is the same number of holes. For the spokes you will need certian lengths, and you will need a spoke calculator, like the DTswiss one, it can be found on their website, to tell you what lengths you need.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
gutsy move...

You're going to buy all your parts elsewhere and have your LBS build the wheels? Some shops would tell you to build them yourself, if you're too cheap to buy parts from them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New shop

C-40 said:
You're going to buy all your parts elsewhere and have your LBS build the wheels? Some shops would tell you to build them yourself, if you're too cheap to buy parts from them.
If your LBS refuses to build wheels with the parts you supply, you need to look for a new shop. They could offer you advise concerning component compatibility or upgrades, however, they should see it as another service. Should they also refuse to repair your bike if you didn't buy it from them? Independence of that kind does not bode well for a shops long term viability.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.