Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been cycling pretty strong since 14 years old (20 years+). The last four years right near racing level. (Fifteen hours/week)

I had a Orbea Orca and a pimped Ridley Excalibur until a year ago. I thought I would have a hobby career change. I fire sale'd all my bike stuff. The new change did not pan out.

I'm back in cycling full bore, after almost two years off. I bought a Competitive Cyclist's Ridley Compact two weeks ago. I see now the Easton wheels are bottom of the line. I want to replace them with Mavic Ksyerium SL's.

I also need a seatpost with some setback. I might get a carbon one and a new carbon stem as well, to cushion bumps out.

Aside from a computer in the coming weeks (Garmin 705), I'm thinking this will be it for upgrades on this bike.

Is it too much to spend on this level of bike, or should I start looking at a new ride (IE Ridley Noah/Zipps/SRAM Red)?

·
Registered
890 Posts
rsosborn said:
The last four years right near racing level. (Fifteen hours/week)
15 hours /week is a very distant "near"

rsosborn said:
I'm back in cycling full bore. I bought a Competitive Cyclist's Ridley Compact two weeks ago. I see now the Easton wheels are bottom of the line. I want to replace them with Mavic Ksyerium SL's.
The Ksyriums aren't that great of wheel. They are neither overly light nor aero nor inexpensive.

rsosborn said:
I also need a seatpost with some setback. I might get a carbon one and a new carbon stem as well, to cushion bumps out.
Carbon materials won't necessarily cushion bumps out. The diameter of the seatpost/amount of seatpost out of the frame matters more than the material in terms of stiffness

rsosborn said:
Is it too much to spend on this level of bike, or should I start looking at a new ride (IE Ridley Noah/Zipps/SRAM Red)?
The Compact is just as race-worthy as the other Ridleys.

If you have so much experience riding, aren't these questions that you have formed your own (relatively strong) opinion on? These are questions that a noob would be asking.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
What the heck does "right near racing level" mean? Do you race? Do you want to race?

Personally, I like the easton wheels alot better than the Mavic pre-built wheels. Those EA50 SLs aren't bad. I right the EA70s (60 grams lighter per pair) as my everyday and race wheels and they are more than servicable in that application. I find the Mavic pre-built stuff to be overpriced and overweight for what you get, nevermind expensive to repair since they mostly use proprietary parts.

Carbon post/stem, again... what is your intended use? Most pros ride alu. Not sure that is money well spent.

That Compact should be a drag out bar-room brawl of a crit/race bike with few if any upgrades.

But again... what do you want to do with it?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
krisdrum said:
That Compact should be a drag out bar-room brawl of a crit/race bike with few if any upgrades.

But again... what do you want to do with it?
I live in downtown DC. It's a real pothole ridden hell for anyone who has lived here. And I need to ride to where I spin 3-4 days a week. (Haines Point)

I train steadily with a Cat 4 racer. I'll probably join his team next spring. I'd race crits, some larger century races, and maybe shorter 30-40 mile races.

I was thinking use the Compact for training, crits and shorter races. Get a stepped up carbon bike for century races.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Geometry is going to have a bigger effect on your comfort than frame material. Tires and wheels will also give you better comfort.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bwhite_4 said:
The Ksyriums aren't that great of wheel. They are neither overly light nor aero nor inexpensive.

Carbon materials won't necessarily cushion bumps out. The diameter of the seatpost/amount of seatpost out of the frame matters more than the material in terms of stiffness
1) Why do so many companies offer carbon forks for aluminum bikes then?

2) I don't know Eastons that well. But Kyserium SL's rocked all over the $300 Fulcrums that came on my Competitive Cyclist Excalibur bundle in '08. Afterward I was very surprised a $2000 bike would come with $300 wheels.

I swapped them on to it from another bike for a few hours. Then ended up grabbing a another pair of Kyserium SL's for it.

Like I said, I don't know Eastons that well. I know alot of people hate the Ksyerium proprietary flat spokes, etc. But $300 wheels compared to $1000 wheels seems like a no brainer. I may have to try myself and see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts