Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm in the market for a complete bike with a flip/flop hub and looking to stay in the sub $500 area.

I've done many searches on this and other forums and have learned about many of the bikes in this area (Windsor The Hour, Fuji Track, Swobo Del Norte, Redline 925, Cayne Uno, Kilo TT, IRO, etc....).

My two issues are: I want to buy from a bricks and mortar store for obvious reasons and many of these bikes don't come in any 60cm or larger sizes.

In doing my research, it seems there are few bikes that meet my needs (above) and wants (two brakes, bullhorns, 5 bolt cranks) other than the SE Lager...which I don't have a problem with, but I'm not sold on the color. (Actually, I like the looks of the Cayne Uno the most out of any bike I've seen, but their largest size is 59cm and the geometry looks really funky).

Does anyone know of bikes large enough for me that meet most of my other wants & needs? For reference, my main bike is a 61cm Bianchi Volpe.

Thanks!

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
Iros come in 62 as do steamrollers (although you don't say what tt you need)... those bikeisland things come in 60 w/ 61.5 tt. perf americanos come in 61, ssr in 60. and of course san joses come in 61. they are out there

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My bigger issue with the Langster is aluminum. That and the evil "S" on the headtube ;)

I considered the San Jose, but it is pretty much the same frame as my Volpe (nothing wrong with that...its a great frame...but I think that would be like buying two identical cars, one with a stick shift and one with an automatic.) Only difference is paintjob and dropouts.

As for the Performance bikes...I haven't heard anything positive about the Americano and while the SSR looks nice, I'm afraid I'd end up spending more building it up than if I just forked out the extra coin for an IRO (taking me fairly well over $500 after shipping...though I'm not ruling a Mark V out).

Thanks for your replies so far...

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
For $500 you can build a very nice SS/fixie that meets your exact needs.

I'm 6'5" and my "expensive" fixie was $500 and that's with new wheels. Fixies are easy to build, esp. if you have a frame with modern specs. I'd seriously consider building one if you require a specific parts set. Nothing off the shelf is likely to meet those needs.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
innergel said:
For $500 you can build a very nice SS/fixie that meets your exact needs.

I'm 6'5" and my "expensive" fixie was $500 and that's with new wheels. Fixies are easy to build, esp. if you have a frame with modern specs. I'd seriously consider building one if you require a specific parts set. Nothing off the shelf is likely to meet those needs.

I guess I still run into the same problem...a frame big enough...What frameset did you use?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a relatively long torso. After trying all of the bikes mentioned in this thread (and a few others besides), I ended up buying a 62 cm. IRO Jamie Roy, which I run with bullhorn bars and a 120 mm. stem. It fits me perfectly. As I recall, however, the total cost was about $100 more than you'd like to spend.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
ASWood said:
I guess I still run into the same problem...a frame big enough...What frameset did you use?
I've built two from ebay frames. You can find a 62cm steel frame with horizontal dropouts if you poke around a little. If you aren't picky about the brand, then it should be fairly easy.

If you have to have a new frame, then the IRO is a great place to start. Or poke through the stickies. There are a lot of frame resources in those threads.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I’m so confused now…

Why isn’t there some sort of standard for bike sizing!? When looking at bikes, I assumed (since I ride a 61cm cross bike) that a 59cm frame on a fixed bike would be too small. Now I find that some of the 59cm bikes (specifically the Raleigh Rush Hour) have a higher stand over height than my 61cm Bianchi Volpe…though the 62cm IRO Mark V has a stand over height half an inch less than my Volpe.

So I guess I need to start over in my search and start looking at frames that sound freakishly small. In looking at the geometry, I know I should consider standover height and top tube length, but is there anything else I need to really worry about?

For reference, here’s the geometry of my main bike:
Size, cm 61
Seat Tube, mm 610
Top Tube-actual, mm 585
Top Tube-virtual, mm 596
Chainstay, mm 425
Fork Rake, mm 50
Head Tube Angle, º 72.5
Seat Tube Angle, º 72.5
Wheelbase, mm 1047
Standover Height, in 34

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
ASWood said:
OK, I’m so confused now…

Why isn’t there some sort of standard for bike sizing!? When looking at bikes, I assumed (since I ride a 61cm cross bike) that a 59cm frame on a fixed bike would be too small. Now I find that some of the 59cm bikes (specifically the Raleigh Rush Hour) have a higher stand over height than my 61cm Bianchi Volpe…though the 62cm IRO Mark V has a stand over height half an inch less than my Volpe.

So I guess I need to start over in my search and start looking at frames that sound freakishly small. In looking at the geometry, I know I should consider standover height and top tube length, but is there anything else I need to really worry about?

Size, cm 61
Seat Tube, mm 610
Top Tube-actual, mm 585
Top Tube-virtual, mm 596
Chainstay, mm 425
Fork Rake, mm 50
Head Tube Angle, º 72.5
Seat Tube Angle, º 72.5
Wheelbase, mm 1047
Standover Height, in 34

don't fit a frame by standover

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FatTireFred said:
So if I can't fit a frame by standover, and I CLEARLY can't fit it by seat tube length, does that mean the only way I can fit a frame is by riding a complete bike?

I know I said that's what I wanted in my first post...but I've been getting more and more interested in IROs...which I couldn't do that with.

·
Potatoes
1,404 Posts
FatTireFred said:
Agreed: I've been taught (when I was a shop rat) and still believe that the Top Tube Length (or effective TT if the frame is semi-compact) is the most important factor in choosing the right size.

In regards to road/track bikes (i.e. not Mountain Bikes) you really don't need to have loads of standover if any. I've never been in the situation where I couldn't lean my bike over and put a foot down road riding and commuting - MTBing on the other hand is a whole other story, where I have come forward and was very thankful for sloping top tubes.

Check the Schwinn Madison in size 58cm:

ST: 58cm
ETT: 59cm
HT: 21cm
Standover: 86.1cm (33.9")
HTA: 73.5
STA: 72.5

I'm 6'2" and find it fits just fine, albeit the high-for-a-58cm-standover means the wedding vegetables are touching the TT.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
You should be very easy to fit on a stock frame if these measurements fit you OK. Look for something with a top tube between 58 and 60cm. Make a small adjustment in your stem length to get the proper reach and you'll be good to go. Chances are that the ST measurement will be close to a 60 with that TT anyway. You won't be able to tell a 1cm difference on a post.

+1 on the standover height. That would be way down the list of things to worry about with fit.

ASWood said:
OK, I’m so confused now…

Size, cm 61
Seat Tube, mm 610
Top Tube-actual, mm 585
Top Tube-virtual, mm 596
Chainstay, mm 425
Fork Rake, mm 50
Head Tube Angle, º 72.5
Seat Tube Angle, º 72.5
Wheelbase, mm 1047
Standover Height, in 34

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...so I ended up ordering a Schwinn Madison.

I went into Performance Bike yesterday and test rode a Large and it felt pretty good, though it DID feel heavy. I figure, though, that heavy is good for steamrolling over potholes and such.

I ordered an Extra Large and got it for $382 plus tax (on sale for $449 plus the 15% off anniversary coupon). Pretty good deal, I think.

I asked them not to build up the handle bars and will have them install bullhorns and a cross lever.....and WHITE bar tape. I can't believe it comes from the factory with BLACK tape when the only other black pieces on the bike are the tires.

Anyway, most of the reviews I've heard about the Madison were positive and the only negative ones I've seen seem to be from people that haven't even ridden one...so I think I made a good decision.

And yes, I will post pics once I get it!

Thanks for everyone's help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.