Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Active
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on buying a good fireroad CX bike complete? Any suggestions on a reasonable priced bike? I don't want to race but want to use it on some of the S. Cal. fireroads instead of my MTB. Thanks

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
there's a lot of bikes at the sub $1000 price point and a bunch at about 1500. Generally, the cheaper ones have 105 level components, crummy wheels and weigh a bit more than you would like. Something like a Kona or Redline is a pretty typical example of a decent value in a bike in the lower price range. If you are patient, you can get a non-abused higher end bike in good shape for less than $1000, Cannondales seem to sell for less than they are worth, for example. I'd steer clear of bikes with 135 spacing if it were me and would avoid buying a used race bike, they just get too much abuse to make it worth messing with, i.e. don't buy one of my old bikes.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
crosscheck

vcyclist said:
Any tips on buying a good fireroad CX bike complete? Any suggestions on a reasonable priced bike? I don't want to race but want to use it on some of the S. Cal. fireroads instead of my MTB. Thanks
for that kind of use a surly cross check's as good a choice as any. they can be had complete for <a href="http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=664&Brand=405&type=T">~$900</a>(harris cyclery). you could build one up for a bit less. its a good gravel road/fire road bike. soma makes a very similair frame called the doublecross but I don't know if its available complete.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts