Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am looking into the 2006 "made to order" Orbea Onix and there are various choices on the Orbea website for wheels, stems, etc. Being somewhat of a novice at this, I was wondering what people think of the choices offered. As background, I am 5 foot ten inches, 173 pounds, and I am a recreational rider. I can't afford the top of the line components, but I want to choose the best combination so that I won't feel the immediate desire to upgrade. It is not crucial that I shave off every ounce of weight possible (I can stand to lose several pounds from my body though).

Anyway, here are the choices I am considering from the www.orbea-usa.com website:

Group: Ultegra or 105. I am leaning toward the 105 group, unless I can be convinced that I will actually feel a difference in performance with the Ultegra group.

Crankset: FSA SLK Mega Exo Compact, or FSA Gossamer Compact. I have no idea which one would be better or why.

Wheels: Rolf Tempo or Apex, Shimano 7801, 600, or 560. Everyone keeps talking about how important good wheels are, so I would rather get one of the better ones here, without breaking the bank. I am thinking about the Rolf Apex or Shimano 600, but I really don't know the differences.

Stem and Bars: ITM Visia, Lite Luxe, or Road Racing. I have no idea, but the Visia seems like overkill for me. The Road Racing may be more than adequate.

Stem: Kalloy Carbon or Zeus Zaga. Again I have no idea about these, and the website doesn't say much.

Saddle: Selle Italia Signo Trans Am, Filante Trans Am or Filante. I was thinking about the Filante Trans Am for the cut-outs to ease nerve pressure. Or should I just get the cheapest and swap it out for a better saddle I would buy separately?

Any comments on any of the above choices would be greatly appreciated. I am looking for a dependable, solid set-up with a stiff yet comfortable ride.

Thanks!!

Peter

·
Registered
289 Posts
Go with the Ultegra, its worth the extra money. Go with the best Rolfs wheels you can afford and which ever crank is cheapest. You can always change the seat, bars and misc later. Bye the best wheels and group know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks - I was definitely getting the orange. Where can you find tape that matches the color?

I think I will probably go with the Ultegra group - it's only around $100 more when configured on the Orbea website.

Peter

·
Registered
289 Posts
You can get orange tape from Excel sports, its on sale right now. Try Deda it is rates very highly.

Now to add a littel confustion to your bike choice, check these two bikes out.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry hit the enter button. 1. Raleigh Prestige under 2300.00 and has Ultegra and Dura Ace, good rims and carbon fiber frame. 2. Felt F3c full Dura Ace , Carbon fibar frame, bars,seat post and great wheels and under 3000.00

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Go for the Lite Luxe w/wing bar. It is by far the most comfy bar they offer. The visia is average and the other ITM Road Racing s pretty uncomfortable with a really hard edge in just the wrong spot, you can use a plastic cable cover to help but they are still uncomfy. The Shimano R600 wheel is a very impressive and it is all new for 2006. Shimano even claims you can increase or decrease spoke tension some on the wheeelsets to create a stiffer rider or a more comfortable one. All the wheel choices Orbea has are are pretty solid though. The Filante saddles are also really low on the padding so be prepared. I'd try and pick one from the store perhaps. The Gossamers aren't bad BUT I think they have cheaper chainrings than the SLK. If you're going Ultegra maybe go that route. I've owned the SLK's and they were very solid while adding a little bling so they aren't a bad choice. If money necessitates buy the Gossamer and when the rings wear out replace them with better rings.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
dom3333 said:
Sorry hit the enter button. 1. Raleigh Prestige under 2300.00 and has Ultegra and Dura Ace, good rims and carbon fiber frame. 2. Felt F3c full Dura Ace , Carbon fibar frame, bars,seat post and great wheels and under 3000.00
Don't know much on the Raleigh but have spent good miles on the Onix and Felt Carbon. The Onix hands down has a better ride for ME. I've ridden lots of carbon bikes (shop nerd) and the Felt was most similar to a Pre-production Madone that that had 12 layers of carbon instead of the 8 layers in the production model. Very stiff, so much so that in higher speed situations the bike (especially in the rear end) didn't want to stay in contact with the pavement as well. When I stood and pegged it would jump around a little sort of like a Klein or similar really stiff Alum bike. Just for measure the Onix felt great from ride one. Just the right mix of stiff and comfy. Orbea won't advertise it but the Onix is 15% stiffer than the Orca and about 15% less than the Opal. All of this being said you may love really stiff!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts