Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start, I admit that I am new to the world of road bikes, and I have what will probably be considered a fairly stupid question, but just the same... I am looking into a couple bikes and most of them are offering mostly ultegra 6600 10 spd components, but not a ultegra (or even shimano) crank, it is either a FSA or Truvativ crank. A friend of mine who is a diehard cyclist says that this presents a problem as shimano components will work best with a shimano crank, and I would like to complete the gruppo, but is it that big of an issue that I need to upgrade right away? Or will that potentially hurt my other components? Thanks for any help on the issue

· Registered
3,866 Posts
Wish I had the right answer... I don't use Shimano, both my bikes are Campy. I would imagine that they use different cranks is to lower the price. I've heard/read/seen a few of the FSA cranks breaking, don't know which model. No clue on Truvativ. I did replace my Campy chainrings on my old bike with Stronglight as I could get two Stronglight chainrings for the price of one Campy. I notice no difference. I think the important thing is if they are warrantied.

· Registered
21,864 Posts
Plus and minus

nailjohnj said:
To start, I admit that I am new to the world of road bikes, and I have what will probably be considered a fairly stupid question, but just the same... I am looking into a couple bikes and most of them are offering mostly ultegra 6600 10 spd components, but not a ultegra (or even shimano) crank, it is either a FSA or Truvativ crank. A friend of mine who is a diehard cyclist says that this presents a problem as shimano components will work best with a shimano crank, and I would like to complete the gruppo, but is it that big of an issue that I need to upgrade right away? Or will that potentially hurt my other components? Thanks for any help on the issue
There are essentially no issues regarding shifting, and nothing will be hurt. The non-Shimano cranks may not shift quite as well, depending on the specific brand and model, typically because the ramping and pinning might not be as needed, but the differences are likely minor. There have been a number of reports of durability issues, particularly with FSA, but then you hear they're sorted out. That part is a little murky.

· Cycling induced anoesis
13,019 Posts
nailjohnj said:
IMO, if the bikes in question are all spec's roughly the same, choose the one that fits best. I'm a Shimano fan so yes, I see a benefit of using their components, but other posters are correct in saying there will be no issues shifting and nothing will be hurt. In a side by side test, for sure the Shimano cranks will perform better than the ones you mentioned, but they're perfectly usable. And when they become troublesome, upgrade. As time goes on (and miles add up) you will anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.