Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just bought a brand new set of cranks high end (ish) ones too, although admitadly not shimano or Campag.
Is this a common thing to happen, you buy a new set of cranks and you find after you get them home that they're not up to spec, being out of true, holes drilled in off centre, bent spider arms,

I 've seen some posts here that highlight these issues, but just how many of us are having to put up with second rate shoddy products?? that have it seems regulary enough slipped through the net, and on to our shelves???

I for one am pissed about this!
(and I know some of you lot are too..)

It's just not right, is it???

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Road cyclist said:
Have these posts about out-of-spec components refer to Shimano or Campy?

theres been mentions of them yes....but Ive picked up the information from lots of different posts about different problems, and now im hoping to see if people would like to voice similar experiences and opinions here in one place together!

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
If you get a defective component, return it and get a replacement or refund.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not common...

If you're buying cheap, off-brand parts, it's certainly more likely. Since I started "serious" riding in 1985, I've only received one part that just wouldn't quite work right, an FSA bottom bracket with bearings that would seize-up when the correct torque was applied to the left cup. They replaced it free of charge.

·
Registered
11,555 Posts
Ritchey: 4mm Major wobble on unriden new crank!

This is probably waaay to late but I need to vent!
I just started installing a brand spanking new Ritchey Compact V crank and I too was horrorfied to see a MAJOR wobble 4mm when viewed from above the Front Derailleur this thing is seriously out of true!! And frankly I wouldn't imagine even ridable and as for trying to get 'normal' not even smooth shifts?? forget that too...

I put my old crank back on.....smooth as, but on the Ritchey

Theres so much rubbing on the front cage its like a wheel with a bad buckle rubbing on the brake pads

Im so pissed cause I ordered it online from abroad...
You (M_E) posted this on another thread yesterday. You said you "started installing a brand spanking new . . . crank..." I'm curious if you ever finished the installation and/or if you found out what caused the 4 mm wobble - incomplete or improper installation, bent crank spider(s), bent chainring(s)?

·
I heart team Zissou!
2,954 Posts
In the other post you mentioned you had purchased the Ritchey crank on-line. Was it from a reputable vendor? If not, perhaps your "good deal" consisted of "gray market" parts that didn't make Ritchey's quality control specs. Rather than ditch the things, it may have been more attractive for some employee to offload a bunch of sub-par cranks to an on-line vendor. It would not have been the first time this has happened.

A+

Philippe

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.