Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
BobtheBuilder
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently searching for a road bike after much thought and debate with my wife I was given a budget that I am still fighting. My question is this: If I don't care how much the component weighs, how fast it shifts what is the purpose of getting a bike with Shimano 105 or even Sora/Tiagra. Why not get the 2300?

I know the basics right now. I am planning on either a Specialized Allez or Secteur. I have ridden both and just haven't decided which I like better. And I haven't decided why I should upgrade from the 2300 to the Sora/Tiagra or 105.

Little info on how and where I ride: I am currently riding a 10 year old Trek Mountain bike with big ass tires on it(probably 35 pounds) to and from work on paved roads. It is 7.7 miles from my house to work and there is a total elevation change of ~250 feet. So I won't be climbing any major hills, it is flat here in Arizona. I keep it in the biggest ring and smallest ring the entire ride, not a huge problem. I plan on riding my bike as much as humanly possible to and from work, with the weather in Arizona I want to do it year round. I would also like to do a couple of longer rides on the weekends(30+).

So basically I am asking for reasons why I should upgrade. I know there are techinical aspects and all that jazz and that is what I am looking for. I am also assuming that the lower level component may not take the wear and tear as a higher level component. If anyone has experienced that, I would love to hear it. If it really is just a matter of weight and .456 seconds shifting faster, that won't convice me.

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,883 Posts
Look through some archives here in "components, wrenching."

We ain't salespeople!

The 2300 stuff is okay, fine. It does its job. It does not feel as smooth as nicer components, and the feedback is more vague. The levers and housing are plastic and a little more flimsy.

Many people do not like the "thumb" button -- one cannot shift from as many positions.

But, it works fine. I have Tiagra on my commuter bike. After about 15,000 miles in a lot of nasty rain and weather, the right shifter is getting close to wearing out, but will probably make it through the season.

Whenever I ride my Dura-ace bike, I am impressed again with the positive feel and rapid engagement of the shifter. Click-clack-shift, click-clack-shift.

All of this stuff is pretty amazing.

Shimano 2300 would blow the mind of a rider using Record or Dura-Ace 7-speed.

·
BobtheBuilder
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked through some archives and haven't found much on the 2300. I talked with the LBS and they basically said the same things you did.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
I got a bike about 2 & 1/2 years ago, which had Sora shifters and 2300 components. I can tell you that the shifting was very nice. If you don't care about the shifting, then go ahead. My biggest complaints about the system were: the crankset, you could tell it was of a lower quality, it wasn't true, and shifting up front was lousy. The brakes were also weak, but these were Tektro brakes with their cheap pads. Had I upgraded to nicer pads (a $7 investment about), then I'd have been happy with that.
Spend a few dollars more and at least get Sora shifters is what I recommend. And welcome to the forums!
Oh, I now use Dura Ace & Ultegra components. They are nicer, but I can't knock the Sora, except the being able to shift while in the drops.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the last two years I had been riding a steel mid 80's Bianchi that a good friend who was into the sport loaned me. After a discussion with my wife (pretty sure it was the same discussion that you had), we agreed that I could spend up to $600 for a new bike. Needless to say, there was not much at the LBS in this range so I started looking online.

Looking at craigslist one night I found someone selling a Trek 1.1 about a mile and a half from my house. Right size... right price. I did some quick research and my greatest concern was the "bottom of the line" Shimano components.

I am just over 1k miles into this bike with the 2300 set and the only problem I have had was the result of my own doing. I was on a 40 mile Sunday ride with the LBS group and there is a hard right into an 18% incline and did not try and move to the small chain ring until I was almost at a dead stand still. I slipped the chain and after 10 seconds and a quick hand pedal to the right ring I was going again.

I have no idea of what the longevity of the 2300 will be but I have ZERO complaints about it so far. I have ridden bikes with Shimano DuraAce as well as decent Campy components... Are they better. Yes. Do they shift cleaner? Yes. Can I afford them? Yes but it is not where my priorities are.

I am a 200 lb, 40 year old man and have no illusions of being a world class rider. I can hang with the B group pace line in the 23 to 27mph range and usually finish in the middle of the pack. I have to say that there is a a bit of pleasure in finishing ahead of regular riders who are younger and on more expensive bikes.

There is some truth to the thumb shifters not being in a great location when you want to shift in the drops but like everything else, you learn to adjust and I honestly cannot say that it is worth plunking down the extra change for upgraded components now. Pocket the money and save for the next bike you will be buying.

I read on one of the other forums that the number of bikes you need to own can be broken down to a simple mathematical expression where A = the number of bikes you have and A + 1 is the number of bikes you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts