Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
BobtheBuilder
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently searching for a road bike after much thought and debate with my wife I was given a budget that I am still fighting. My question is this: If I don't care how much the component weighs, how fast it shifts what is the purpose of getting a bike with Shimano 105 or even Sora/Tiagra. Why not get the 2300?

I know the basics right now. I am planning on either a Specialized Allez or Secteur. I have ridden both and just haven't decided which I like better. And I haven't decided why I should upgrade from the 2300 to the Sora/Tiagra or 105.

Little info on how and where I ride: I am currently riding a 10 year old Trek Mountain bike with big ass tires on it(probably 35 pounds) to and from work on paved roads. It is 7.7 miles from my house to work and there is a total elevation change of ~250 feet. So I won't be climbing any major hills, it is flat here in Arizona. I keep it in the biggest ring and smallest ring the entire ride, not a huge problem. I plan on riding my bike as much as humanly possible to and from work, with the weather in Arizona I want to do it year round. I would also like to do a couple of longer rides on the weekends(30+).

So basically I am asking for reasons why I should upgrade. I know there are techinical aspects and all that jazz and that is what I am looking for. I am also assuming that the lower level component may not take the wear and tear as a higher level component. If anyone has experienced that, I would love to hear it. If it really is just a matter of weight and .456 seconds shifting faster, that won't convice me.

·
BobtheBuilder
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked through some archives and haven't found much on the 2300. I talked with the LBS and they basically said the same things you did.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.