Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You probably saw my other thread regarding putting together a Gunnar package with my LBS. As far as seat post, stem, bars, etc., I relied upon my LBS guy to come up with a "middle of the road" package. He has chosen the "Bontrager Race" line. (not the lite or xlite) Would you consider this a decent component set or is it worth upgrading? I'm trying to limit costs as I'm already looking at ~ $3K going into this bike. Also, assuming I stay with Bontrager, I'm concerned about getting the right handle bars that are comfortable. Can you make any suggestions on what bar to get? Please don't choose the most expensive ones. I'd like to keep the bars to under $100. Do you think the blade type bars would be more comfortable? I'm being sized up this Friday so I need to nail down some of these decisions before he places the order. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Bars and post

Bars: Ergo or non Ergo? I personally don't like ergo bars which is why almost all 5 of the bikes I own have a Nitto Classic or Randonneur type bar that is an alu bar.

Post: You need a set back post or straight? I would look for a double bolt type of post that you can get a micro adjust on seat position, commonly found on MTBs but that may have changed, it has been a while since I looked at seatposts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ARP said:
Bars: Ergo or non Ergo? I personally don't like ergo bars which is why almost all 5 of the bikes I own have a Nitto Classic or Randonneur type bar that is an alu bar.

Post: You need a set back post or straight? I would look for a double bolt type of post that you can get a micro adjust on seat position, commonly found on MTBs but that may have changed, it has been a while since I looked at seatposts.
I'm assuming non-ergo and a straight post. This is my first experience with working with an LBS on putting together a bike from scratch so I apologize for my ignorance. I made the decision on everything with the exception of these miscellaneous components. For that I deferred to his judgement and he chose Bontrager Race. Does anyone have any experience with Bontrager handle bars that can make a recommendation? I looked at their site but their are several choices for under $100. I'm less concerned about the seat post, and I'm assuming the fitting and my riding style will have an impact on what type of stem he orders. (angle, etc.) This is somewhat of a "dream bike", but I do need to pay attention to costs. I just want to make sure that I choose decent components, especially when it comes to handlebars and comfort. Thanks.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Your LBS is probably choosing Bonty components because they're a Trek shop. While they're of acceptable quality, I think you could do better for less purchasing some of the items yourself and having the LBS install them.

Some examples:
For contact points I prefer the Specialized short reach/ shallow drop ergo bars and Toupe saddles, but these are highly personal choices. Example: I don't like Bonty's VR bars and others love them.

Ritchey WCS alloy stems are highly regarded and probably can be found cheaper than this:
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...s+OS+Road&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=22

Same with seat posts. As long as it's a two bold design of decent quality, a Bonty would probably be fine, but here's another Ritchey:
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...tpost+WCS&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=19

RE: setback, I'd be surprised if your LBS fitter wasn't planning on using a setback post, but if you decide to purchase one on your own, ask what Bonty they would have used and match that setback.

The beauty of starting with a good quality frame is that you can build it up any way you like. I would take advantage of that option rather than go with all one brand.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PJ352 said:
Your LBS is probably choosing Bonty components because they're a Trek shop. While they're of acceptable quality, I think you could do better for less purchasing some of the items yourself and having the LBS install them.

Some examples:
For contact points I prefer the Specialized short reach/ shallow drop ergo bars and Toupe saddles, but these are highly personal choices. Example: I don't like Bonty's VR bars and others love them.

Ritchey WCS alloy stems are highly regarded and probably can be found cheaper than this:
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...s+OS+Road&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=22

Same with seat posts. As long as it's a two bold design of decent quality, a Bonty would probably be fine, but here's another Ritchey:
http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...tpost+WCS&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=19

RE: setback, I'd be surprised if your LBS fitter wasn't planning on using a setback post, but if you decide to purchase one on your own, ask what Bonty they would have used and match that setback.

The beauty of starting with a good quality frame is that you can build it up any way you like. I would take advantage of that option rather than go with all one brand.

Yes, you are absolutely correct. They are a Trek shop. I really like your Ritchey choices for stem and posts. The prices are very reasonable. Thanks. Can someone make a recommendation on a set of Ritchey handlebars? Again, decent quality without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am currently building a bike up myself. This is what I am getting for stem, seatpost, and handlebar.
Seatpost: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K0277

Stem: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=K0011

Handlebar: I got the Easton EA90 Aero handlbar. It's compact, so the reach is shorter and the drops are shallower. I have it on my Look 585 and I really like it. Also, it was on sale at jensonusa for $120, so I just couldn't pass it. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/HB295B10-Easton+Ec90+Aero+Road+Bar.aspx

Like what PJ352 said, it's a custom build bike, you can use whatever components and color you like on the new bike.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
BillyK said:
Been looking at the Ritchey bars and doing some research. I think I'm going to go with the WCS Road Classics. Thoughts?

http://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...lassic+OS&vendorCode=RITCHEY&major=1&minor=15
It's all a matter of preference. I ride in the drops a lot so I prefer the ergo bars, but if you like the classics that's a fine choice.

Just a FYI.. unless you like a fair amount of saddle to bar drop and depending on what your preferred hand position(s) are, all else being equal, that bar may require a slightly shorter and less angled stem and/ or more spacers, but that can all be compensated for during your fitting.So yes, you need to decide on the contact points before then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PJ352 said:
It's all a matter of preference. I ride in the drops a lot so I prefer the ergo bars, but if you like the classics that's a fine choice.

Just a FYI.. unless you like a fair amount of saddle to bar drop and depending on what your preferred hand position(s) are, all else being equal, that bar may require a slightly shorter and less angled stem and/ or more spacers, but that can all be compensated for during your fitting.So yes, you need to decide on the contact points before then.
Thank you for your advice. I was actually conflicted between going with the classic bars or the WCS Logic II.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=355356

I've read several posts where people didn't like the ergo type bars and preferred the classic round style. No, actually I don't prefer a lot of saddle to bar drop but I'm also not sure if I'll find the ergo bars comfortable. I may need to give it some more thought. I still have time. BTW, I also picked out the following headset to match:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=98565

Thanks,
- Bill

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
BillyK said:
Thank you for your advice. I was actually conflicted between going with the classic bars or the WCS Logic II.

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=355356

I've read several posts where people didn't like the ergo type bars and preferred the classic round style. No, actually I don't prefer a lot of saddle to bar drop but I'm also not sure if I'll find the ergo bars comfortable. I may need to give it some more thought. I still have time. BTW, I also picked out the following headset to match:

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dyn_prodfamily.php?k=98565

Thanks,
- Bill
Speaking personally, I'd much prefer the Logic bars, but that's because I ride 'in the hooks' (as they say) and since the palms of my hands don't curve with the classic bend, it causes discomfort. Conversely, the ergo bars have a flat area right where my palms are and that's much more comfortable (for me). You need to think about your riding style and decide from there.

I'm not familiar with that particular headset, but I wouldn't have any qualms with using Ritchey's WCS line.

FWIW, here are the bars I was referring to:
http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=47079&menuItemId=9305&eid=5135
A little less reach than the Logics, but very similar.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ritchey WCS Curve, with Pro level stem and post.
or
Pro PLT Compact bend.
Both are nice and good, and within the price range.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i'd forget about that bontrager stuff. your bike doesn't want to look like a confused trek, does it?

On my bike i have the ritchey WCS stem, WCS Logic II Handlebar, and still have my stock seatpost (FSA Carbon Pro, 20mm Setback)
The logic II handlebar is very nice. i have it in 40mm wide and i like the compact drop very much. It allows me to ride for longer times in the drops without getting tired. The shallow drop also allows me to death grip is without overextending and stand up and sprint.

Next up, i think i may go for the Ritchey superlogic seatpost

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok,
I just got back from the LBS. He took some measurements to determine what size Gunnar to order as well as handbar size, etc. He determined that 56cm would be appropriate. (I'm 5'10 1/2 w/32 inseam) Oh, and apparently I'm "square" (60x60). Torso length matches my reach. He revised the original quote to include swapping out the Bontrager components for the Ritchey items mentioned above and I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. (BTW, I did decide to go with the WCS Logic II Handlebars) Couple of questions:

1.) There was some discussion as to what stem length I should go with. Do you think 90mm or 100mm would be a better bet? Seems like 100mm is most common for 56cm bikes. However, this is a relaxed geometry type bike and I don't have a ton of flexibility. I realize I can always swap it if it doesn't work out, but I'd rather try and get it right the first time.

2.) I had originally planned on going with the Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheelset. Since the LBS only has the Ksyrium Elites in stock, and he apparently would rather move them than place a new order, he's willing to do the exchange at no extra cost. However, the Elites are just hanging up and I don't really know the history behind them. He claims that they're new and I don't have any reason to believe otherwise, but I don't know for certain. Being that there's not really a huge difference between wheelsets, would you just have him order the Equipes or take the hanging Elites for the same cost? The Elites are slightly lighter, (maybe 150g or so) but I think the hubs are identical. Not sure I'd even notice the difference between the two. What do you think?

Thanks,
- Bill

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If you need a stem that is not in the range of 100-120mm the bike is the wrong size. Ideal length is 110. That's what you should shoot for. The only reason 90mm or shorter stems are made is for very short women, and people who bought the wrong size bike. If you feel more comfortable on the 56 with a 90 stem, then get a 54 and run a 110.
And go with the Elites.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
IMO that's a good move going with the anatomical bar. I think you'll be glad you did.

Regarding the stem length, if the LBS fitter is confident in his sizing assessment, It's likely a 100mm stem length will be close. If you really needed a 90mm, that (to me) would be an indication that the ETT of the 56 might be on the long side (for you).

You mentioned the bike has relaxed geo. What model Gunnar are you getting?

I have no experience with the Mavics and would probably opt for Eastons, but if the no charge swap works for you I think it's an ok option.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
PJ352 said:
IMO that's a good move going with the anatomical bar. I think you'll be glad you did.

Regarding the stem length, if the LBS fitter is confident in his sizing assessment, It's likely a 100mm stem length will be close. If you really needed a 90mm, that (to me) would be an indication that the ETT of the 56 might be on the long side (for you).

You mentioned the bike has relaxed geo. What model Gunnar are you getting?

I have no experience with the Mavics and would probably opt for Eastons, but if the no charge swap works for you I think it's an ok option.
Thanks for chiming in. The bike is the Gunnar Sport.
http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/sport/

I did look at the Eastons, (EA70s) but they didn't seem to be reviewed any better than the Mavics, and I don't believe they come in silver. I'm going completely silver (wheels/groupset) as I think it'll look better with the vintage style steel frame as well as the color of the frame. The roads around here in NH are pretty rough and the Mavics seem to be fairly bomb proof. (I'm riding 2 sets currently) Wheel weight isn't a huge priority for me.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
The EA70's are far better riding wheels than the Mavics and IMO more durable. Personally I think that dollar value wise it's the best wheelset on the market. There are lighter/stronger/faster wheels out there, but with the EA70's you get a little bit of all three at a price no one else in the industry can beat.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
BillyK said:
Thanks for chiming in. The bike is the Gunnar Sport.
http://gunnarbikes.com/site/bikes/sport/

I did look at the Eastons, (EA70s) but they didn't seem to be reviewed any better than the Mavics, and I don't believe they come in silver. I'm going completely silver (wheels/groupset) as I think it'll look better with the vintage style steel frame as well as the color of the frame. The roads around here in NH are pretty rough and the Mavics seem to be fairly bomb proof. (I'm riding 2 sets currently) Wheel weight isn't a huge priority for me.
Nice choice. Yes, the Sport leans a little towards relaxed geo, but it should still be a fun (and smooth) ride.

Regarding the wheelsets, you have to decide what suites you, your riding conditions and your budget best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
mtbbmet said:
The EA70's are far better riding wheels than the Mavics and IMO more durable. Personally I think that dollar value wise it's the best wheelset on the market. There are lighter/stronger/faster wheels out there, but with the EA70's you get a little bit of all three at a price no one else in the industry can beat.
I've never ridden them but they are nice looking wheels. I definitely took notice of them when I was spec'ing out the bike. I'm not sure how much more my LBS guy would charge me for these and I'm trying to limit how much I spend on this bike. It'd be interesting to hear some feedback from people that have ridden them both. (Elites/Equipes vs EA70s)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts