Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the best answer is "both." You need a shop that can fit you to the right bike before purchase, then dial that bike in after you've taken ownership. You want a shop that's willing to work with you as far as dialing in your purchase. Swapping out stems of varying lengths, trading cranks, and exchanging seats and generally working with you until you're in a good riding position. You obviously don't need to eek another 3 watts out of a 20K TT, but you don't want to suffer with knee / back / neck pain because you're riding a stem that is too long or some other easily remedied problem.

I think the more expensive fitting is probably overkill for your needs unless you have a "special needs" situation like artificial joints, history of pain, or an unusually shaped body (e.g. extremely short legs relative to your torso, etc.).

Remember that bike fitting is as much art as science. It's as much an interaction between the fitter and the rider as it is pure measurements and calculations. A good fitting will fully utilize both the science and the fitter's experience. I guess it's like going to a doctor. You rely on his/her experience as well as the blood work, x-rays, urinalysis, etc. to arrive at a diagnosis and course of action.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts