Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I read somewhere the compression plug helps relieve stress on your carbon steerer tube. I was wondering if this is true? My compression plug probably relieves stress from the lower of the two stem bolts... my steerer tube is hollow where the top stem bolt is. Does this matter?

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

A lot of carbon steering tubes would work fine with no compression plug at all. Their primary purpose is to anchor the top cap bolt. Current compression plugs supplied with LOOK frames provide no support in the area of the upper clamp bolt, so it must be OK.

I know some weight weenies get their headset adjusted, then take the compression plug out. I haven't read of any failures from doing that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
top cap

Thanks for the info. What was making me second guess myself was that some of the compression plugs I see have an elongated top cap that sits inside the steerer.. wasn't sure if that helps support the steerer tube when you clamp the top stem bolt?

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Yes, it does help relieve some stress. If you try to remove one of those top caps while its clamped, it won't budge. I can't imagine its a big deal. What happens when you run spaces on top of your stem? won't it throw everything out of wack?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
specialized

anyone have a Specialized full carbon fork (allez pro or a tarmac)? If so, did your bike come with a regular top cap or one of these elongated ones? I bought the frameset and the compression plug came installed, but without a top cap.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
not always..

kbiker3111 said:
Yes, it does help relieve some stress. If you try to remove one of those top caps while its clamped, it won't budge. I can't imagine its a big deal. What happens when you run spaces on top of your stem? won't it throw everything out of wack?
LOOK frames some with the same type of plug, but there is no contact between the steering tube and top cap. It can be removed easily after the stem is clamped.

·
Registered
40 Posts
kbiker3111 said:
Zinn actually recommends putting a spacer on top of the stem on a carbon steerer tube. Says it reduces the possibility that the top bolt could crush the open end of the steerer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.