Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a pair of reebok compression shorts for like $17. I used (just them is that ok with the biking public? lol :p ) them on a 15 mile bike ride. They felt great and didnt bother me at all compared to normal shorts with underwear.

What I want to know, is it ok to wear just compression shorts? They seem decent...but maybe its the breeze I get flying down hills. :)

Thanks.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Coincidentally, the chamois cushions come free and pre-installed when you buy cycling shorts. Which also are made of tight lycra and act as compression shorts.
+1 on that. Just imagine the comfort you would have in riding shorts. Highly recommended.

· Registered
232 Posts
See now, I had it all wrong...I thought lycra compression shorts came free, pre-attached when you purchased a a bicycle chamois cushion.

· Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
10,086 Posts
True cycling shorts should help make you feel more comfortable. Now the quest begins to find the RIGHT pair. I personally think I will have better luck finding the holy grail but I keep trying.

· Registered
11,220 Posts
Jstaylor said:
So...If $15 compression shorts felt great...Would $30-$50 riding shorts feel better? Or would I have to buy the more high end biking shorts?
use the compression thingie until your ass hurts, then try cycling shorts.

see if you can tell a difference. if not, you wasted money on one of the two.

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
I'm a mild to moderately hairy person and the hairs on my inner thighs tend to get picked up by my compression shorts and tugged with every stroke. It's annoying and i never really percieved any benefit from them over what I guess could be called normal lycra. Shiny though...

· I like Chicken
1,442 Posts
<embed width="448" height="365" src="http://www.spike.com/efp" quality="high" bgcolor="000000" name="efp" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" flashvars="flvbaseclip=2744517&" allowfullscreen="true"> </embed> <a href="http://www.spike.com/video/nacho-libre-stretchy/2744517"

· Registered
64 Posts
Regular spandex shorts are fine for shorter rides, but if you rode 50 miles, I'm sure that seam that goes right from your belly button to your butt crack will feel real good tomorrow.

If you got lucky and you don't have any big seams where you sit, that's great. Like Otox said, if they work for you, that's great.

And regardless of it's intended purpose or not, the cushy chamois is nicer than nothing on the sit bones.

· Registered
27 Posts
Maybe someone could answer a question I've got. When did chamois' get so thick? I picked up a pair of Pearl Izumi Quest shorts, mainly because of their price. The pad is so thick, it feels like I am wearing a diaper. All that padding ends up making me numb. Luckily, I found a couple of pair of Bellweather shorts I had purchased a decade ago. They have a chamois, but it's not at all thick and very comfortable. I agree with the above poster. I want a chamois to reduce friction, not provide padding. Please tell me that all chamois' have not gone the way of the PI Quest.

· i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Jstaylor said:
So...If $15 compression shorts felt great...Would $30-$50 riding shorts feel better? Or would I have to buy the more high end biking shorts?
Try Velowear Equipe shorts. They have some basic 8 panel cycling shorts for like $45. They are perfectly fine and would be much better than Reebox compression shorts, IMO, esp. for rides >1hr.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.