Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this article in the Velonews Tour De France guide that claims it helps recovery after the ride . The tights is made by either Skins or 2XU . Has any one tried them . Does it works . Is it cheaper to get the compression tights from the store than to get those ?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
mapeiboy said:
I found this article in the Velonews Tour De France guide that claims it helps recovery after the ride . The tights is made by either Skins or 2XU . Has any one tried them . Does it works . Is it cheaper to get the compression tights from the store than to get those ?
either "bicycling" magazine or washington dc's "metro dc" magazine reviewed them.
i can't remember. they gave them a thumbs up for recovery use. they said it helps
move the lactic acid out of the way.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
21,834 Posts
Questionable

rsosborn said:
either "bicycling" magazine or washington dc's "metro dc" magazine reviewed them. i can't remember. they gave them a thumbs up for recovery use. they said it helps move the lactic acid out of the way.
I have doubts about these claims. First, because Bicycling magazine never met a product concept it didn't like. Also, I'd like to see some sort of actual research to support it. Compression tights/shorts simply compress, not massage. You need to "cycle" pressure to actually accomplish anything. Just squeezing doesn't seem to get it done. That said, they may be fine. I'd just like to see some data.
 

· Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,573 Posts
These things have been floating around for the last 10 years. Buy them if you want, but don't be surprised if they only seem to work for the first few rides, until your legs get used to being "squeezed".
It seems like these things appear every three years or so.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
I thought the lactic acid thing had been completely re-thought--that it is not lactic acid that makes your legs sore, but it is lactic acid that delivers that last-bit of energy when one is really straining, and that the pain comes from strains in the muscle. Many of the techniques to "rid yourself of lactic acid" do good things for you, it's just that it's not getting rid of the lactic acid that is the goal.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
Heh, our baseball coach in high school told us to do the same thing (wear compression shorts to bed) after double-header games or just played and had a big game the next day. Who would'a thunk it? They run about $10 at Wally-World or Target :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
219 Posts
lalahsghost said:
Heh, our baseball coach in high school told us to do the same thing (wear compression shorts to bed) after double-header games or just played and had a big game the next day. Who would'a thunk it? They run about $10 at Wally-World or Target :D
Mr. Woodcock knows about cardio recovery????

;)
 

· Anti-Hero
Joined
·
10,405 Posts
WTF? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Lactic acid is a by-product of the anaerobic production of ATP. It CAN be converted to glycogen... in the liver... by a totally different set of processes than what goes on in the muscle.

The only think correct in there is that LA doesn't cause muscle soreness after exercise. It's not used directly as fuel by the mitochondria. The lowering of Ph at the muscle (due to LA accumulation) will actually interfere with the process that causes the muscle to contract.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
3,477 Posts
Michael Barry talks about them a few times in his book about being on the USPS team. He also talks about sitting/laying in a way that elevates the legs above your heart to basically restrict the flow of blood to your legs to aid in recovery.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top