Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Lounge is home to some of the smartest folks I come in contact with, so I hoping for some good advice here.

After cleaning up the viruses on my daughter's laptop with Malwarebytes, the thing won't connect with the Internet. It's connected to our wireless network, but diagnotics says that the port firewall is probably blocking communication with the WWW.

I'm thinking I should reset the port firewalls to the factory settings. How to do this? Or any other suggestions?

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
I would first try to hardwire the Internet connection and see if that works.

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
wait... we are smart?

Are we smart or simply very skilled at searching the internet or calling people out on grammar/spelling mistakes?

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
you knew this was coming.

get a mac.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
macalu said:
The Lounge is home to some of the smartest folks I come in contact with, so I hoping for some good advice here.

i just fell out of my chair. you'll be hearing from my lawyer.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
check the TCP/IP properties, I need to have a DNS server named as a gateway (my dsl modem to get from my router to the web)
In my case it is 192.168.0.1

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
jsedlak said:
There should be a little hole with a little button you can push on the router to do a full reset of the device.
but he said it IS connected to the network.....unless it is a wireless router/modem I don't see how that would work.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
I was just answering his question as to how to reset the hardware.

Open up a command prompt (start > run > cmd > [enter]) and type this:
"ipconfig"

What shows up? It should be something like 192.168.0.x. If you have a different number, something really odd, you may be connected to the network but in a non-validated manner. This often happens if you typed in a wireless key incorrectly.

Now type:
nslookup

What is the address that is returned? Should probably be 192.168.0.1.
It should also provide a prompt (">")

Type in a site like google.com and hit enter.

What does it say?

·
Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
This kinda sounds like the squirrelly thing Vista will do with the network connections. It will sense the connection and just list it as local network...you'll see the two little computer icon in the taskbar, instead of the two little computer icon with the globe for local and internet.

Try going into your network connections>manage network connections. Right click on the network connection and select disable. Give it a minute or two and right click it again and select enable.

If that doesn't work you may have to go into Manage Wireless networks and select "customize" and look at how your connection is configured. It may be just as easy to delect the connection and reconfigure it.

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
To all---Thanks for the ideas. I will give them try tonight when home from work and let you know.

Update!!!! Problem solved by my wife who reset system settings to before this business started. I'm off to the tar pits with the other dinosaurs in 3....2....1....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.