1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
In my work, I sit at my computer using my mouse all the time, just as much as my keyboard. The problem is that my wrist is starting to become sore. It could be the angle of the armrests to my chair, or maybe because my mouse is simply not ergonomically conducive to long sessions. I have a pretty simple Logitech right now. Are the ball mouses any better for sore wrists? What about the keyboard-board combination? What are you folks using? Have you had the same problem as me?
Thanks.
Wayne

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Moved my mouse to the left side, fixed everything

Took about a day to get comfortable with it, but it cured the soreness and, the way my desk is set up, it frees my right hand for the phone, taking notes etc.
Plus when I have to call the techs, they come out and fumble around for 10 minutes trying to work it with the wrong hand. Knocks the arrogance right out of them.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Wayne,

Are you left or right handed? Which hand do you use your mouse with? I've tried the trackball type, and don't like them.

I was using a mouse set up for a right handed person with my left hand. This caused me to hold my hand at an angle, which in turn caused wrist and arm pain. Setting the mouse up for the left hand helped keep my arm/wrist/hand aligned.

I also find the optical mouse easier to use than the old ball mouse.

http://jaxmed.com/articles/wellness/mouseErgo.html

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
wayneanneli said:
In my work, I sit at my computer using my mouse all the time, just as much as my keyboard. The problem is that my wrist is starting to become sore. It could be the angle of the armrests to my chair, or maybe because my mouse is simply not ergonomically conducive to long sessions. I have a pretty simple Logitech right now. Are the ball mouses any better for sore wrists? What about the keyboard-board combination? What are you folks using? Have you had the same problem as me?
Thanks.
Wayne
Like the others, I definitely suggest a squishy wrist support. Also, if you don't already have one, get a girl mouse. Female mice are much more sensitive (duh!) and therefore don't require as much wrist movement (not if you're doing it right!) than the male mice do. Seriously.

Don't know what a girl mouse is? You find out the same way you do anything else.... lift its tail. If there's a ball under there, it's a boy.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
Getting a tailless girl mouse is even better.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,670 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Thanks.
Wayne
I like my trackball (sorry snap)--takes a bit of getting used to, but it eats up lessreal estate, andyou don't have to keep lefting & repositioning the mouse
to move large distances (without tweaking settings that is).

Mine's a Logitech

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
And I thought I was the only one that called 'em girl mice.......:D

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
KenB said:
Like the others, I definitely suggest a squishy wrist support. Also, if you don't already have one, get a girl mouse. Female mice are much more sensitive (duh!) and therefore don't require as much wrist movement (not if you're doing it right!) than the male mice do. Seriously.

Don't know what a girl mouse is? You find out the same way you do anything else.... lift its tail. If there's a ball under there, it's a boy.
yup...what ken said--and also start playing guitar. Your left fingers will be so freakin sore you won't notice your how sore right wrist is at all. ;)

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
wayneanneli said:
Thanks.
Wayne
Is it a mac mouse? If so, bingo. :D

That new G7 that logitech has looks nice.

I have the MX700.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Good morning everyone,
Yes, up nice and early. A short story, it's Edward's second birthday today, and tradition is to bring the birthday boy or girl breakfast in bed and sing to them and give them presents. Well...little Edward is up and very awake at 6.00 with a full diaper and needs changing. Ok, how do we get him back into bed for the symbolic singing and so on? He's downstairs now with Anneli watching the news, getting him back in bed should be fun :).
About the mouse problem, thanks for all your responses so far.
To Scotty, Ridgetop, BJ and Ken, I've had one of those gel wrist pad for quite a while without any problems.
Snap, I'm right-handed and my mouse is set up ok for that.
Cory, I've thought about moving the mouse over and using my left hand instead my right, but only as a last solution do I want to try that.
Room, I'm thinking of maybe borrowing a friend's ball-mouse to try. They seem interesting, since your wrist stays more or less immobile.
To Mike and FTF, haha! I love my Mac computer, but really can't stand their mouses. Their two button Mighty Mouse seemed interesting, but the ball is soooo small that I just decided to stick with my Logitech.
I'm kind of interested in the newer Logitech models
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=10716
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/CA/EN,CRID=2135,CONTENTID=9043
The problem might have also be when I bought a new office chair. The position I sit at is slightly lower, and the armrests seem to now be below the level of the desk. I've raised my chair to have my armrests a little higher and level with gel pad, but now my feet just barely sit flat on the floor... now, I'm thinking that I may need a foot support. The investigation continues...
Cheers, Wayne

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Cory said:
Took about a day to get comfortable with it, but it cured the soreness and, the way my desk is set up, it frees my right hand for the phone, taking notes etc.
Plus when I have to call the techs, they come out and fumble around for 10 minutes trying to work it with the wrong hand. Knocks the arrogance right out of them.
same here.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
wayneanneli said:
The problem might have also be when I bought a new office chair. The position I sit at is slightly lower, and the armrests seem to now be below the level of the desk. I've raised my chair to have my armrests a little higher and level with gel pad, but now my feet just barely sit flat on the floor... now, I'm thinking that I may need a foot support. The investigation continues...
Cheers, Wayne
I had to switch to an armless office chair to get rid of some ergonomic problems (try explaining to your office manager that you want a new chair on the day you get promoted--but you want a "secretary's" chair. It took me ages to get her to understand I wanted less chair, not more).

I needed to get the chair higher and closer to the desk than arms will allow. I also had some mouse problems caused by always having my elbow resting on the chair arm instead of hanging in space or resting more on the desktop. That might be your problem.

My real mouse pain, though, used to happen in my back. Felt like someone was sticking a fork in my left shoulder blade. Going to the gym and doing more upper body fixed it, but it was definitely mouse-related.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts