Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've rebuilt my home PC after the worm attack, and have things back to normal. I may have lost a couple of downloads or two, but nothing important.

Anyway, I had bought an external hard drive and plan to use it to keep the system backed up to avoid this happening again. Only one hitch. What I was able to get on short notice was a Western Digital, 'My Book Essential'. And the backup/sync software that came with it was Memeo AutoSync, in a thirty-day trial version. :mad2:

So, do the PC geniuses here have a good sync/backup package that they can recommend? I'd prefer one that was open source / free, as I'd rather spend money on bikes or things other than software.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
You can probably use the Backup program that comes with WinXP (if you have Home Edition, I'm not sure if it comes with that).

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
I find it easiest to store all my documents that I needed backed up in one directory, and simply copy it. Sync packages scare me. It is easy to drift out of sync, and I don't want the backup app to restore the wrong files locally.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
You can probably use the Backup program that comes with WinXP (if you have Home Edition, I'm not sure if it comes with that).
+1

Another option is to use the "files and settings transfer wizard," and of course store that on your external drive. If you decide to do a re-install, it's the only way to go. You'll be up and rolling amazingly quick.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
I'm a fan of a boot-able rescue disc and a full disc image on a back up drive. Personal preference, mostly because I can rarely find all the cd's to rebuild a drive.

·
Kilt wearing, old man
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
godot said:
I'm a fan of a boot-able rescue disc and a full disc image on a back up drive. Personal preference, mostly because I can rarely find all the cd's to rebuild a drive.
That's the line of what I was thinking of myself. What's the easiest way to do this? Remember, at work, I have access to peeps that would do this if it were a work PC and not a personal PC. So it's not my usual duty. Otherwise, I might already have an idea. :p

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Get a backup drive bigger than your current harddrive. (they're cheap, and i work in the disc drive industry and would like to keep my job, so buy a seagate)
Buy and load Acronis
Have Acronis make a "rescue" disc. So you can boot your system off the rescue disc if your hard drive goes belly up.
Have Acronis do a full disc image to the backup drive
Then have Acronis schedule to do an "incremental backup" every week or so.
Every couple of months do a new complete image and get rid of the incrementals.

The incrementals make restoring a bit more painful as you have to load the full image and then the incrementals in order, but it does save a lot of disc space.

If you don't want to do the incrementals, just do a full image everytime and set it up to kick off in the middle of the night.

Drop me a PM if you need more help or info.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
godot said:
Get a backup drive bigger than your current harddrive. (they're cheap, and i work in the disc drive industry and would like to keep my job, so buy a seagate)
Buy and load Acronis
Have Acronis make a "rescue" disc. So you can boot your system off the rescue disc if your hard drive goes belly up.
Have Acronis do a full disc image to the backup drive
Then have Acronis schedule to do an "incremental backup" every week or so.
Every couple of months do a new complete image and get rid of the incrementals.

The incrementals make restoring a bit more painful as you have to load the full image and then the incrementals in order, but it does save a lot of disc space.

If you don't want to do the incrementals, just do a full image everytime and set it up to kick off in the middle of the night.

Drop me a PM if you need more help or info.
OK, now to me this is where it makes sense to have a small partition that you run your OS from (say 10-20gb), and this is what you are imaging. Restoring the image will bring all of your programs back and get you a working computer, but by keeping the bootable partition manageable you aren't talking about constantly imaging a 400gb hard drive.

For data (pics, files, movies, music, etc), it makes more sense to me to have a "live" backup that is basically synced folders. I've used syncback (google it) for this and it's worked great.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
I like that setup. I don't keep a lot of data around so imaging <80gig isn't a big deal.

Overall I think shawndoggy's strategy is the way to go, and I'll probably migrate this direction at some point. Thanks.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
filtersweep said:
I find it easiest to store all my documents that I needed backed up in one directory, and simply copy it. Sync packages scare me. It is easy to drift out of sync, and I don't want the backup app to restore the wrong files locally.

+1. Exactly what I do.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
I keep anything I want to keep, like music and image files, and the little bit of work stuff that I use my computer for, on a second hard drive in my tower. Now granted, i'd lose them if the drive should fail, so I usually burn copies to cd's, although I've been kind of lax in that department.

I had been using Stomp Backup MyPC, and still have it, but that's no longer around for updated software, I think Seagate or someone bought them and used their tech for their own backup app.

I used the trial version of Acronis to make a ghost of my old OS hard drive when I wanted to replace it with a bigger one, and not have to go through the process of re-installing everything, and it worked perfectly. After my latest melt-down, I'm probably gonna purchase it, and do what godot said, save the ghosted image file on my external hard drive.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Right. Keep the Image as small as possible. I used to partition all our C:/ drives to 8GB. That's pushing it for space these days. When running NT or 3.0, we could get away with 4GB. That included a lot of location specific software and files.

Copy data files off anyway, either to a removeable backup or partition, or better yet both.

It's the desktop settings, system files, and registry stuff that's usually the problem when things go bad. Make an Image when things are stable and you can always restore to that place.

Then It's Ok to do any OS and Antivirus/Protection software updates. If things are stable again/still, make a new Image. You're ahead of the game.

I used to use Drive Quest Image Pro, but now I find Ghost gives me fewer problems with file permissions and security.

shawndoggy said:
OK, now to me this is where it makes sense to have a small partition that you run your OS from (say 10-20gb), and this is what you are imaging. Restoring the image will bring all of your programs back and get you a working computer, but by keeping the bootable partition manageable you aren't talking about constantly imaging a 400gb hard drive.

For data (pics, files, movies, music, etc), it makes more sense to me to have a "live" backup that is basically synced folders. I've used syncback (google it) for this and it's worked great.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.