Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came down with a virus on my PC that I tried to get rid of as best I could, deleted the file , ran my JV16 Power Tools registry cleaner, still there so I ran my virus scan. At this point, my system was running extremely slow, so I let it scan overnight as I went to bed.

Got up the next morning, saw that my virus scan had removed 53 files, mostly, if not all, system files, and a Windows notice that these had been replaced by files Windows didn't recognize, so to put my XP disk in the drive and reboot to replace them.

Well, my computer wouldn't boot. I tried everything I knew to try to get it to come back, tried booting into safe mode repeatedly, ran the XP disk to repair this version of Windows, finally got it to boot into safe mode. Did all the file deletes, JV16 stuff all over again, virus scan wouldn't run in safe mode. Rebooted figuring I'd run virus scan then, wouldn't boot. Finally chose to install a clean version of XP, without repairing first.

So I'm back up and running, but some things I can't figure out. All my programs and such are in the 'Programs' folder of C drive, but they don't show up when I hit the 'Start' button, nor are their shortcuts displayed on my desktop. Likewise with my 'favorites', although they're all there in the 'Favorites' folder. Also, have lost all my emails and address book, and the fonts on my screen look different, and I can't figure out how to fix them.

Anyone with more computer knowledge than me know any ways I can get all this back to the way I had it? I figured maybe it was a case of now being a different user account, and so set up a new one using what I thought was the right name. But I don't recall havig a name show up for me to log onto before, so maybe I haven't. Maybe it is a user account thing, but I just haven't figured out the right identity to use?

I'd really hate to have to go back and reinatall all my programs again, and getting all my favorites set back up is gonna be a nightmare. I have a backup of my C drive that's a year old, and tried restoring that, to no avail. But I wonder if I can restore it somewhere else on one of my hard drives, and the use Windows file transfer wizard to maybe salvage my favorites and email settings.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Your email and address book is in a different folder. You have to search for it and move it to the new folder. Search for *.dbx, that's the OE files, I forget what the address book is but there are two files for the address book. Search for address book.

Your programs are there, you lost your icons from the menu and you need to go into each program and copy the icons back in again. Many times the icons are saved, just like the email is. You may want to try searching for desktop. Then copy that folder to the desktop now being used. I make a copy of my email, address book, and desktop periodically and just copy it to another part of my hard drive so I have it to restore from.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yeah, I'm gonna work on that stuff. The address book is a .wab extension, I think, and pretty sure one's in OE, and the other's in Application data. Emails, I think you need both .dbx and .ibx extensions, but not sure.

But I'm a bit puzzled, where are you suggesting I find these files, and where to copy them to? Do you mean from the backup I have that's so old, but at least would have much of what I'm missing? Already tried restoring those files, and it didn't seem to fix anything.

edit: ok, I found an old folder I put on another drive, that I named OE backup, and it contained my address book and some older email messages. Using OE's Import function, I was able to copy that into the new OE, although it's so old most of those messages are pretty useless to me. And nothing frommthe last couple years, so don't know what good it does me.

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
Technically, since I have been using computers since 1979, I must be a “computer pro”. As a “computer pro”, I will advise you to stop using that communicable disease prone Windoze crap.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
You're going to have to reinstall all your apps. Sorry.

As for your favorites, email, etc., look on your C drive for the Documents and Settings folder, then look for a folder that has the same name as what you would have been using as a login name under your old installation. Inside that folder, you'll find your favorites, documents and, depending on what you used for email, all your email-related files.

Because you did one install on top of another, your Program Files folder (to say the least) is going to be a mess. I would find whatever files you need to recover, back them up to another drive, then format the drive and do a clean install of Windows.

///If you were using Outlook Express, once you find your old user folder (which we'll call %oldusername%, look here for your files:

Address Book: c:\Documents and Settings\%oldusername%\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

OE message files: c:\Documents and Settings\%oldusername%\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\Some Crazy Folder Name\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx, etc.

What you'll want to do is copy the files you find INSIDE those folders into the similar folders of your new installation.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
You don't have to have an old backup, they are probably there and were recreated as new so you still have the old one. Windows probably put it either in a different folder or renamed the folder with a long #.

·
More cowbell!
2,527 Posts
Our laptop picked up a crazy virus that makes it impossible to see the hidden files unless you type the folder name into the address bar. It f*ed up Outlook so it won't even load. I haven't had time to try and fix it yet. My wife is pissed because now she can't access a bunch of attachments that she didn't save.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I use the free Avast antivirus software and the free version of Zone Alarm for my firewall and have no problems. I also use Webroot Spy Sweeper for spyware. That is not free but it's well worth the money. I have no problems.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had some help from another site, and did find my Favorites folder, and My Documents folder under the user name, and copied them over into the new user name, so I got those back.

Unfortunately, under Documents and Settings or user names, I didn't see any folders for local settings/application data, etc. There was a user data folder, but the contents were just a bunch of .dll files.

Any other places I might search for them?

Edit: found them, had to check off 'show hidden files'.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
rufus said:
Had some help from another site, and did find my Favorites folder, and My Documents folder under the user name, and copied them over into the new user name, so I got those back.

Unfortunately, under Documents and Settings or user names, I didn't see any folders for local settings/application data, etc. There was a user data folder, but the contents were just a bunch of .dll files.

Any other places I might search for them?
Make sure you're viewing hidden folders and files. Open a window, go to Tools-->Folder Options, select View Hidden Folders and Files (middle tab ... forget the name), then click Apply, then click near the top to apply the same settings to all folders.

The App Data/Local Settings folders should be in the same folder where you found the Docs and Favorites.

·
off the back
15,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, so I had discovered about the hidden files, but so far, all attempts to copy them over have had no success.

·
Alien Musician
4,537 Posts
Yecch.

lawrence said:
I use the free Avast antivirus software and the free version of Zone Alarm for my firewall and have no problems. I also use Webroot Spy Sweeper for spyware. That is not free but it's well worth the money. I have no problems.
Spy Sweeper = intrusive, registry sprawling GARBAGE.

I far prefer the free malwarebytes.org application, it gets rids of anything you throw at it
if you boot in safe mode and is free of the endless advertising and stupid splash screens
the spysweeper app foists on the user.

Ugh.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
unfortunately when an anti-virus CLEANS a file, it very often CLEANS it until it is unusable. You could liken it to washing kleenex. It's clean but it's is a pile of lint not a kleenex.

At this point, I am not sure what you can do to recover "Cleaned" files to the original form, if anything.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
You're going to have to reinstall all your apps. Sorry.
The joys of the Wondows registry in action :rolleyes:

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Room 1201 said:
The joys of the Wondows registry in action :rolleyes:
Yeah. I switched my main computer from Windows back to Mac. I'd lost touch with how much better the Mac OS is. Of course, I still run a Windows box to run a few apps that aren't available for Mac, and no email program even comes close to Outlook for Windows, but still ...

·
Frog Whisperer
40,924 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
no email program even comes close to Outlook for Windows, but still ...
WHAT?????????? you gotta be kidding me, I wouldn't use outlook if it was the ONLY e-mail client on the planet. I used Eudora Pro until it disappeared (they turned their code over to Mozilla) and now I use Thunderbird......outlook????????

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
Touch0Gray said:
WHAT?????????? you gotta be kidding me, I wouldn't use outlook if it was the ONLY e-mail client on the planet. I used Eudora Pro until it disappeared (they turned their code over to Mozilla) and now I use Thunderbird......outlook????????
Haaaiiil yeah. Outlook is powerful, especially when it comes to customization, auto-archiving, import/exporting, etc. Not to mention Exchange integration (I have my own Exchange server).

Obviously there are lighter, cleaner email programs out there. But that's not what I care about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.