Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
If you have shimano flight deck shifters, I recommend the flight deck computer w/ virtual cadence. The cadence is accurate and I personally really like some of the features that flightdeck has that normal computers don't, especially the hood controls and to a lesser extent, the gear indicator.

The virtual cadence does not require a crank sensor and therefore is a little simpler too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Could try a Cateye they have lots of versions that have the integrated speed candence sensor on the chainstay. I am using the V3 and like it alot so far.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
You can still pick up the Cateye Astrale 8 for $40 or under

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HEMIjer said:
Could try a Cateye they have lots of versions that have the integrated speed candence sensor on the chainstay. I am using the V3 and like it alot so far.
thanks for the info and suggestion. I like all the features the Cateye V3 has but was a bit concerned about all the negative reviews on this site.

How long have you been using this computer for? And no problems?

·
24,427 Posts
I like it because it has the "auto-timing" feature. For most of my training it's set to "auto" where it shuts off the timer when you come to a stop, but I set it for "manual" for races, so that I can shut it down after crossing the line in crits and TT's.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am just not a big fan of the wires running all over the place. I like the cleanest of wireless.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cv3

lucky13 said:
thanks for the info and suggestion. I like all the features the Cateye V3 has but was a bit concerned about all the negative reviews on this site.

How long have you been using this computer for? And no problems?
3 months no problem, I have heard it was only the earlier models that had issues. Also I figure that with all products folks get on the band wagon with negative reviews so i take those litely. Also have always heard Cateye stands by their product.

·
24,427 Posts
If you coil the rear pick up wires around the front derailleur cable, and the brake cable housing, on it's way up to the head, you can hardly see it.
Wireless computers are often inaccurate because of lost pulses, due to interference. If set up correctly, wired computers can be exact.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HEMIjer said:
3 months no problem, I have heard it was only the earlier models that had issues. Also I figure that with all products folks get on the band wagon with negative reviews so i take those litely. Also have always heard Cateye stands by their product.
Do you know if there is an option in the setup that allows to entry odometer milage allowing to add milage from my current computer?

·
Upgraded n00b
123 Posts
go here. It will tell you what Cateye products have what features. All Cateye's minus the Velo 5/8 have programmable odo's

·
Registered
151 Posts
lucky13 said:
Do you know if there is an option in the setup that allows to entry odometer milage allowing to add milage from my current computer?
yep CE v3 has programmable odometer

·
Registered
514 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
You can still pick up the Cateye Astrale 8 for $40 or under
+1 for Astrale 8

There's the newer Strada w/cadence for $10 more if you want the little arrow thingy (not sure what that's supposed to accomplish).

Only thing I wish my Astrale 8 had was momentary backlighting if I pushed a button. Can't see it in the dusk/dark.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HEMIjer said:
Where on the crank arm did you secure the cadence magnet? I just recieved my V3 and I am in the process of installing my right now. I not sure if I should install it near the pedal or more near the center of crank? Or does it really even matter?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Astrale 8 is great. I just got a Strada Cadence with my new bike, and I prefer the Astrale 8. On the Strada, the big display is always MPH, but on the Astrale you can choose between cadence and MPH for the large number.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts