Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good cycling computer for an urban commuter and errand road bike?

In order to prevent it from being stolen while the bike is locked up on the streets of NYC, an important requirement would be that it can be easily and routinely removed and reattached, and can be done so many times without fatigue or damage to the mounting mechanism.

One that counted cadence and was modestly priced would be preferable.

·
I'm interesting.
919 Posts
The Cateye Strada Cadence is the computer I use. The computer unclips from its mount very easily. I use the wired model, but it is available wireless too. Price is about $45 - $50 online for the wired.

·
I'm interesting.
919 Posts
...double post...

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I think every one I've owned just slides on & off. If you do it on a regular basis I think it will eventually become loose & make unstable connections with the sensor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a VDO... it's cheap, like $20. it twists off, so it's not just a sliding thing. I think it might be a little more secure because of it.

You can get a cadence kit for it for another $25....

It's wireless too.

performancebike.com

·
Registered
217 Posts
In my experience, I've found that the ones that twist a quarter-turn to take off will eventually loosen up and rattle.

The ones that push/pull straight off are more solid long term. I think this is because the springy release tab takes up any slop that may develop. The quarter-turn ones, don't have this release tab.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts