Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a computer for my bike and came across these two models. They're both wireless models from Cateye, and both seem to be very reliable. I just don't know which one to purchase.

The Micro has a backlight, but the Strada is slightly smaller and many more people have it. Those seem to be the only differences.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I have a Micro Wireless on both my bikes. It's a basic computer. I've had two of them fail on me (in about 5 years). The screen froze on one of them and the other one would just go dead and I would loose all my information in the middle of a ride, even after the batteries were replaced. Not too sure about the Strada wireless. With the Micro you have to click through all the modes to get to a reading. With the Strada I think you press on the computer head, no buttons. The Strada is the newer model. Even with the problems I've had with my Micro, I would buy another one.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
I have a Strada and it works fine. If it has all the functions you want I see no reason not to get one. Though from what I understand they all work just fine.

The previous poster is correct about it having no buttons and just hitting the computer. For the rare times I want to switch functions when going kind of fast I like that. But it's not a big deal either way.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Used them both. Have a couple of them around still in fact since upgrading to my garmin. I liked the Strada better. Smaller with a display that read better. How often did I use the light on the micro? Never. The button was on the back and impossible to get to. On 12 hour races, it was impossible to find while riding in the dark.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
I have a Strada Wireless currently and really like it, but I'm about to put a Micro Wireless on my wife's bike, so I'll get to see how they compare to each other pretty soon.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
CatEye Strada Wireless (2) has worked flawlessly for me for years without any issues.
Easy, clean install. Large, easy to read display.
Accurate and reproducible data over same known route.
Batteries last about a year, and are cheap and easy to replace.

john

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've had 2 Cateye Micro wireless computers fail on me and I didn't have them very long. I have since switched to the Strada and it has worked well.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a Strada wireless. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is too easy to inadvertently reset it. You do this by pressing and holding the face of the device which in turn presses and holds a small button on the back against the bike mount. I have begun keeping it on the distance 2 setting display, so if I inadvertently lean on the unit for a second or so then I just reset that value and not everything else. Cateye ought to redesign the unit to prevent an accidental reset.

·
Registered
30 Posts
By the very nature of it's design, the Strada fits loosely on the mount and tends to rattle on rough roads. A little annoying, but it works well and won't fall off. I've never had any problems with interference on my wireless model either.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
the micro wireless has a backlight, a weak one, but it allows me to check the time/speed at night.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i have used both (as well as polar, sigma, etc)

i prefer the strada, it is small and the numbers are big

gives me the information i want with none of the garbage i dont need

·
Rub it............
3,833 Posts
I have both the Micro and a Strada Double wireless. The Micro is about 5 years old, works flawlessly, and the Strada is less than a year.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts