Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay,

I've pulled the trigger and will be buying my first road bike. C-Dale R1000. Anyway, I want to get a good, basic, computer for the bike. The choices are endless. Any suggestions? Favorites? Things to look for? Wired vs. wirelss - which is better? FYI: don't need to down load the info to the PC.

Let me know what you think
gtown

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Let me just say

That my Specialized Wireless Computer displays four digits. You know how I know.

It clicked over 1,000 miles this morning!!! Yaaa Hoooo......

As for your question, it depends on your components. If you have flight deck compatible, then get a flight deck (but have the shop install it). It'll show you what gear your in and works pretty slick.

If you got Campy, check out their Ergo Brain thing.

If you don't care then wireless is a great way to go. I think they have digital so no interference.

I use a heart rate monitor so the ones that have that capability are interesting.

Cadence could be good, but to me the heart rate monitor is better as that's more important to me. I can spin, it's blowing up or slacking off that I avoid. Later.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
Some perspective on good, basic

Flight Deck and Ergo Brain are hardly basic computers. If you want something that keep strack of the basics (time, miles, avg. speed, etc) my choice would be a lower end Cateye or Sigma computer (there are others too - Performance, etc.). For the money ($20-$30) you can't go wrong. Tells you all of the important stuff with no excess cost.

I had a $200 CicloSport a few years ago that told me everything I thought I wanted to know. When that broke (didn't take long), got a Cateye Mity. $15 on closeout - works like a charm. Bought a few 2nd bike kits fo about another $20 and I'm all set on 3 bikes.

Oh the rest of your question - get a wired computer, much simpler. Wireless can sometimes interfere with heart rate monitor signals. Looks a little cleaner with no wires, but I find that wireless is a bit more finicky. It will also add cost given the same level of functionality.

Hope this helps
Mike

·
ready for retirement
68 Posts
cateye

A good, basic computer for me has been the Cateye Mity 3, which I think is now the Mity 8. I've seen Mity 3s recently for less than $20 at Nashbar and Performance. No problems with mine. I run a Mity 3 on my road bikes and an Enduro on my mtb. They're wired, no cadence, but simple and reliable. Two wheel size settings, avg. speed indicator, odometer. Two years and no battery changes for me. If you need to change a battery, the total distance can be re-entered.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
I like Cateye

mainly because of the mounting hardware. I have the altimeter model which is a novelty that I like. Maybe not very useful but at times it is interesting.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mainstream models. My first computer had cadence on it. After I learned to feel my cadence I never needed that function again. I like the ability to switch auto on/ auto off on or off. I use that more than anything because I am forever forgetting to turn the thing on. The wireless types seem to be problematic. Clean installation but kind of useless if they malfunction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Mity 3

Two other guys mentioned the Mity 3. They're about $13 at Nashbar or Performance right now. I have six of them - one for all four of my bikes and both of my wife's. I used to get the ones that listed the most functions. Then I realized it was a pain in the rear to page through all that stuff and see the things I really wanted.

Mity 3 (probably other models, too) displays current speed at all times in big numbers, then has a second set of numbers where you can cycle through the things you need most: distance, time and avg. speed. Each one of those has 1-2 other functions behind it that you can get to by pushing and holding the "change mode" button, but most of the time I don't need those, so I like being able to cycle thru the 3 major items quickly without having a lot of other stuff in the way.

Good luck,

Michael

·
Registered
197 Posts
I am using the Vetta 100A wireless with wireless cadence and altimiter (useless in Chicago!) Picked it up on e-Bay for $75 and I love it!! Wireless is a dream! No worries about snagging and ripping out a wire, and as fas as I understand Vetta makes one that's compatible with heart monitors. this little computer tells me everything I want to know-it even checks my e-mai!! haha

·
100% Atkins free
34 Posts
Ditto the Cateye, which is a good, basic and essentially bulletproof computer. I have a Mity 3 and it does everything I ask but count my cadence, which I've learned to do in my head.

Another nice one is Nashbar's wireless, which I picked up fro $14.95 when they had it on sale. It just plain works, too. And doesn't interfere with my HRM.

I wouldn't spend too much on a computer. Speed, distance, average. That's what I need.

·
But it's a dry heat...
286 Posts
Sigma Sport 1600

I have a Sigma Sport 1600 computer and I really like it. I have used Avocet and Vetta computers as well, and I like the display of the Sigma Sport the best.

Wired computers on a road bike are no big deal. You can make the installation look very clean by wrapping the front brake cable guide with the pickup wire. On my Fuji Team you can barely notice the wire.

Wireless computers are fine, but they seem to eat batteries faster. Plus the pickup on the fork is quite large.

The Sigma Sport retails for around $35. You can get them on eBay for less than $20. I highly recommend them.

Lastly, be careful about your handlebar sizing. My Fuji has oversized handlebars and very few computers fit those. If your bike has standard bars, then it won't matter, but if your bike has oversized bars then there are only a few options: Sigma Sport (all), Cateye Mity (2003 and newer models), some Vetta (most won't work), and the Shimano Flight Deck.

Thx...Doug

·
Registered
193 Posts
Cateye & Specialized

gtown said:
Okay,

I've pulled the trigger and will be buying my first road bike. C-Dale R1000. Anyway, I want to get a good, basic, computer for the bike. The choices are endless. Any suggestions? Favorites? Things to look for? Wired vs. wirelss - which is better? FYI: don't need to down load the info to the PC.

Let me know what you think
gtown

Congrats on the bike!

I can recommend the Cateye Cordless 7, and the Specialized Team, both are wireless. I prefer wireless because it looks cleaner, plus I'm not into the cadence thing yet. I contemplated getting the Flight Deck, but after reading some of the stories here I opted for the Cateye 7. The only time it gave me trouble was when I stored the bike too close to my cable modem at the house. It gave off some strange interferance. Other than that, it's been a great computer, as it does all that I need: Current speed, Av. speed, ride time, trip distance, odometer. Basic stuff and it is easy to press the one big button to scroll. I also bought the stem mount so I could free up room on the bar for a light. These can be had on-line for $35-40. This model replaced the Cordless 2 (what happened to the other 4 I don't know!) and Performance or Nashbar usually has them pretty cheap.

I also had good luck with the Specialized Team on my MTB. It has all the same functions as above, plus has a Indiglo-type backlight. No stem mount though. Can't remember what I paid........probably around $45. Have never had problems with it.

If all you want is a basic wireless computer, you can't go wrong with either. As for wired, I have no idea.

·
lyleseven
490 Posts
Cateye, Cateye, Cateye....

I have had Sigma and Cateye. More problems with Sigma than Cateye. Wired or wireless, Cateye is great. I have the Cateye Astrale 8 (with cadence) and the Cateye Cordless 7 with no problems except for a faulty sensor on one, which Cateye replaced with no questions asked thru local bikeshop. Stay away from Vetta- Local bikeshop had nothing but problems with them when they carried them. You don't need the headaches which come with the Flight Deck or Ergo Brain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cateye OS1

I'm going to be installing this wired 'puter onto the bike I'm currently building. It has all of the functions that you will need (plus a few that don't), but most importantly it is robust and has an easily legible display.

I am toying with the idea of the Flight Deck to go with my Ultegra group on my best bike, but it seems like an awful lot of money to spend on a computer (even if it is supposed to do clever things like tell you what gear you are in).

Lots of 'puters succumb to the elements quite easily, and I've had a few spurious readings from wireless computers, so I'd say go for one that has a proven track record for being durable and accurate ;-)

·
Administrator
13,070 Posts
For a basic computer the Sigmas are hard to beat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.