Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any one had a good recommendation on any computers, it doesnt have to be really fancy...just something that would tell me how fast and how far i have gone.
My price range is probably from $0-50

Thanks

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I was looking for the same and picked up a CatEye Microwireless. I really wanted wireless. I've had it for six months and still working fine. Does what I want - speed, distance, average, etc. The only I don't like is that the unit now vibrates in the holder, so I just wedge a plastic tie between the two and that fixes it. It's $39 at Performance:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19998&subcategory_ID=4110

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
IMO & IME wireless computers can be a hassle. That being said, when I look for computers, I look for large, easy-to-read numbers and bright displays. I'm also a simpler is better kinda guy. I need just the basic functions, e.g. current & ave. speed, miles & trip odo. and timer. I don't need to know cadence, (lots of people will argue with this), altitude, slope in degrees, rectal temperature, or the price of rice in China. Usually, the cheapest model will do fine for me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Cateye Mity 8 or Astrale 8

Both are wired, cheap, and reliable. I love my Mity, which cost about $25. The Astrale is about $10 more and includes a cadence feature as well.

Cheers,
Ari

·
a Freds Fred
762 Posts
ari said:
Both are wired, cheap, and reliable. I love my Mity, which cost about $25. The Astrale is about $10 more and includes a cadence feature as well.

Cheers,
Ari
I second the Astrale 8. If you are new to riding, the cadence feature will be a great tool in learning to pedal at proper cadence.

·
Banned
608 Posts
CatEye and Ciclomaster seem to have the best quality, which for some reason is a major problem with cyclometers. You would think that after a couple of decades one company could come up with a simple, bullet proof design.

·
Obviously not doping
139 Posts
I will probably be banished for all time for this but... I got me a schwinn 12 function computer at wal-mart for $9.50. seems to work fine for me, has everything but cadence. took about an hour to hook the thing up, but after that, no issues or problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the astrale 8 with cadence.

Set up was easy . easy to read display during the day.
Things I don't like on it . I wished it would light up at nite or a function for it.
The pick up sensors look pretty bulky to . But they do there job
I thought about cutting one aprt to see if the qc shop at my work could make a smaller design, but I will wait till i break one of them .

Dynodan

·
Registered
635 Posts
another thing to consider is if you are going to be spending time on a trainer. if so, get one that uses the rear wheel for the sensor. this way you can still know your speed, time, distance, etc. on the trainer, whereas a front wheel based computer cant do this (front wheel doesn't move on a trainer). with rollers its not a problem

that said
+1 for the cateye astrale 8

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
timmyc said:
I will probably be banished for all time for this but... I got me a schwinn 12 function computer at wal-mart for $9.50. seems to work fine for me, has everything but cadence. took about an hour to hook the thing up, but after that, no issues or problems.
Nah, I got a bell computer from a local sports store and it's got everything I need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts