Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
if it were me, waterford paramount due to the rarity factor. i love colnagos and normally i would pick that but a true schwinn paramount is a lifetime keeper. even if it's not the best ride of the 4.

·
9,790 Posts
I wouldn't have sold a damn one of them.

I agree with Ride-Fly though; if it came down to keeping one - say, someone would kill my kid if I didn't choose - I'd keep the Paramount.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
get rid of all that heavy stuff and get you a nice plastic bike

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
jaimemmm said:
I sold three and kept one. Which would you keep and why?
The one that I rode the most...or gravitated toward when heading out for a ride. Generally that's the one that fits the best and you like more on a subconscious level.

Personally...I'd keep two and sell the other two. One would be my rain bike and the other would be for everything else. :D

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The one that fit best, or it looks like you haave two steel bikes and two ti bikes, if that is the case I would have sold off the colnago and litespeed and kept the merlin and parmount.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
rollinrob said:
The one that fit best, or it looks like you haave two steel bikes and two ti bikes, if that is the case I would have sold off the colnago and litespeed and kept the merlin and parmount.
What years?

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
The Paramount is the oldest of the bunch, and as a pre-1989 doesn't have OS tubing, so it will be a little flexier than the OS models. It's still a nice bike, though (I have an '87 Paramount and love it).

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Scooper said:
The Paramount is the oldest of the bunch, and as a pre-1989 doesn't have OS tubing, so it will be a little flexier than the OS models. It's still a nice bike, though (I have an '87 Paramount and love it).
Scooper has great bikes. I'll bet he says keep the same bike I would. IMO, the Paramount is the best of the bunch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, I will let you know what I did. I kept the merlin cyrene. I regret not keeping the schwinn paramount too. The paramount was a special bike. It also was a piece of art. The only minus was the weight. It was not noticeable when I rode the bike. The paramount was a pearl white color with full ultergra. The bike was mint. I have to agree with the poster that said keep the merlin and paramount. (wise man).
The colnago and tuscany where great bikes but the paramount had the special mystic of a classic road bike.
I wish I kept the paramount but, I am convinced that the merlin cyrene is the one that suits me best.
colnago master x-light : slow, perhaps due to the small size. I felt that I could not open up all my power. the most beautiful looking bike of the bunch. One color only Ferrari red with white trim and beautiful chrome.
litespeed tuscany: Good ti bike. not as good as the merlin. Does not have the frills of the merlin. Tuscany is very nice bike.
shwinn paramount: regret getting rid of it.:mad2: FAST, SMOOOOTH, NICE FRONT FORK FEEL, GREAT DESIGN (ANGLES & LENGTH MEASUREMENTS).

This is only my personal opinion: the merlin was the best fitting (tall head tube), light, comfotable and responded the best when I hammer the pedals. The paramount and merlin felt very similar. Both were comfortable and FAST:ihih:
If I still had all four, I would ride the merlin the most. It would have been nice to to have my paramount to change things up a little.

I miss my Paramount.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I haven't heard it mentioned but Waterford actually has a restoration program. They can repaint and apply the correct decals for you. It isn't cheap but none of the other brands will do that. You can even have your vintage Chicago built Paramount restored there. It's nice to have a real Schwinn, Richard Schwinn, to oversee your restoration. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts