Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I think it's good karma to come clean when you do something really stupid. I tried to pull my Shimano Ultegra triple crank off with a Park CCP-4. I thought this was the right tool. The really stupid thing was this was the wrong tool for what I had ( a square ended bottombracket it appears).

I suspect I'm not the first person who has stripped the threads off a crankset. The crankset appears to work fine the way it is but now even with the correct pulling tool I don't think I can change out to a smaller inner chainring for climbing which was my original intent.

Any ideas?

kayak42

By the way, I fully deserve a chorus of "you're an idiot"

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
kayak42 said:
Ok, I think it's good karma to come clean when you do something really stupid. I tried to pull my Shimano Ultegra triple crank off with a Park CCP-4. I thought this was the right tool. The really stupid thing was this was the wrong tool for what I had ( a square ended bottombracket it appears).

I suspect I'm not the first person who has stripped the threads off a crankset. The crankset appears to work fine the way it is but now even with the correct pulling tool I don't think I can change out to a smaller inner chainring for climbing which was my original intent.

Any ideas?

kayak42

By the way, I fully deserve a chorus of "you're an idiot"
You could probably get it off with a gear puller that would hook onto the spider of your crank. Auto parts stores usually have these for loan or rent. Might trash your crankset taking it off, but it sounds like that won't really matter. Instead of swapping out to a smaller ring, you might consider getting in touch with you "inner Jan" and just grunt up the hills. And it properly spoken "your an moreon" or "your a idiot" If you are going to do it wrong, do it the right way.

· Banned
6,492 Posts
Only once? Neophyte!

As somebody else suggested, if you can find a gear puller (car parts place) that will hook behind the crankarm, you can probably get it off with one of those. They used to make (don't know if they still do, and can't remember what they look like) steering wheel pullers that worked the same way, so maybe that, too.
When I did the same thing years ago, my LBS advised me to remove the bolts and ride the bike around until the crankarm loosened. I rode it for four or five months, always afraid it was going to fall apart, then sold the bike to my old boss, who was moving across the country and taking a new job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.