Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Campy short cage dérailleurs specify a total tooth count as 27. So why are all many bikes with compact front cranks and 12-26 cassettes shipped with the short cage? Any way I count, it comes out to 30 teeth. My new Ridley came this way and the LBS shop says it is correct.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
info...

chas0039 said:
The Campy short cage dérailleurs specify a total tooth count as 27. So why are all many bikes with compact front cranks and 12-26 cassettes shipped with the short cage? Any way I count, it comes out to 30 teeth. My new Ridley came this way and the LBS shop says it is correct.

Thanks
Their is no 12-26 Campy cassette, but there is a 25T. The official word is the short cage RD will work with a 50/34 and any cassette Campy offers, except the 13-29. The largest cog difference is 14T on an 11-25, so that does mean it will should handle a 30T wrap. The more common 12-25 yields a 29T total wrap.

If you read somewhere that the short cage only has a 27T wrap, it's old info from before the introduction of the 50/34 compact crank. Campy often quotes figures that reflect only what they offer, which used to be only a 27T wrap. That didn't mean that there was no excess wrap capacity. If the chain does not rub on the upper pulley chain guide tab in the 34/12 and does not over-extend in the 50/25 then there is no problem.

A medium cage has 36T of wrap. That's what I use because I used to have a triple and it's got a lot of excess capacity with a 50/34 and 11-25.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot. Sorry about the typo, yes I meant 12-25. I am sure you are right about the info as a number of sites don't update their specs and what you said makes perfect sense. I am switching to the 11-25 so according to what you found with the medium cage you have I should be fine.

Much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.